Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Full locker vs. LSD for Tacoma IFS

I drive a 97' Tacoma 33"s, 4.88s, ARB rear, IFS up front. I'm wanting more traction out of the front end but I'm worried about the weak CV axle shafts. ARB makes a locker for Taco front ends now but it seems I'm just asking for busted CV joints if I put one of those in. Does an LSD offer enough improvement to be worth while? Or is the front end strong enough to handle a full locker? Does anyone even make an LSD or "soft" type locker for Taco fronts? And no, I won't be doing an SAS on this one.
Thanks, Dan

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
i would say go with the ARB since its selectable. that way you can use it when you need to. this will prevent instant loading on the CV's. in addition it will act factory when using it on the street. since you have an ARB in the rear you have the compressor and such.

·
Registered
24,995 Posts
I don't know if the Taco IFS is weaker than the older IFS, but I doubt it. Run the ARB if you can afford it, but the front end WILL survive a full locker just fine. The half-shafts are alot stronger than people give them credit for. Just like any rig that's locked up front, don't be stupid when in 4Lo on the trail (steering at full lock, pinned against a rock, full throttle is BAD for any front locked rig).

·
Registered
986 Posts
arb. turn on... turn off, not as stressfull on stuff as locked all the time.. detroit or lock wrong, or garbage limited slip. but as was said before... sas then arb:flipoff2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts