Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that are running full size 70's bronco or F150 axles, what type of suspension are you running? Radius arms, leaf spring conversion, or stock cherokee control arm setup? How easy are these axles to swap? What are the best years to find?
Thanks for any help! Judd

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you're keeping them fullwidth and are planning to reuse the Ford brackets, then it won't matter if they're cast or welded to the housing. I think thats the first thing you need to figure out. If you're planning to cut the housing down and/ or run custom brackets, then you'll need to find a housing with welded brackets instead of the cast.

If you retain the Ford config., then all you need to do is flip the stock Ford coil seats and bolt them back to the radius arms. This will inboard the seats roughly 3/4" on either side, which will eliminate some of the bow in the coils. From what I hear, its not enough to worry about and it works fine. This is how I'm planning to do mine. I'm then planning to sleeve the stock radius arms and extend them to a "mid-arm" length and run Johnny-Joints at new frame mounts.

I haven't started on my swap yet, but there are a few others on here who have successfully done this and have had excellent results. As for which axle you should grab, check Mr.N's extensive D44 article.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JS-Economos said:
If you're keeping them fullwidth and are planning to reuse the Ford brackets, then it won't matter if they're cast or welded to the housing. I think thats the first thing you need to figure out. If you're planning to cut the housing down and/ or run custom brackets, then you'll need to find a housing with welded brackets instead of the cast.

If you retain the Ford config., then all you need to do is flip the stock Ford coil seats and bolt them back to the radius arms. This will inboard the seats roughly 3/4" on either side, which will eliminate some of the bow in the coils. From what I hear, its not enough to worry about and it works fine. This is how I'm planning to do mine. I'm then planning to sleeve the stock radius arms and extend them to a "mid-arm" length and run Johnny-Joints at new frame mounts.

I haven't started on my swap yet, but there are a few others on here who have successfully done this and have had excellent results. As for which axle you should grab, check Mr.N's extensive D44 article.
this is exactly what I did and it worked great, with a custom crossmember and extention of the radius arms it's really a simple swap. Don't forget that you'll get another 2 1/2" to 3" of front lift because the coils set ON TOP of the radius arms.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
forewheeler said:

this is exactly what I did and it worked great, with a custom crossmember and extention of the radius arms it's really a simple swap. Don't forget that you'll get another 2 1/2" to 3" of front lift because the coils set ON TOP of the radius arms.

Fore, do you have any more shots of your rig's stance? I'm trying to get a rough idea of what my tracking width will be. I'm planning to run a 15x8 with 4.5" of backspacing and a 37x12.5 MT/R. I did some math and it looks like it will be sitting in the mid 70"s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the stock axles under a 77-79 F 150/bronc are 66", if you go with 4.5" bs then you'll be tighter than I, I have 3.75"bs on a 15x10 wheel running 36x12.5x15's, I set in the 80" width area.

In this shot below, I have changed my track bar to center the axle.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Fore, did you have any problems with reusing an XJ adjustable trackbar on the Ford axle mount? I believe I was told that it would work fine in the stock Ford bracket, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for the pics.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
the ford axle has a stud the track bar goes on and the xj trackbars aren't long enough.
I ended up using a new bar with heims and modified the TB bracket on the frame end for this. I will get some pics asap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JS-Economos said:
Fore, did you have any problems with reusing an XJ adjustable trackbar on the Ford axle mount? I believe I was told that it would work fine in the stock Ford bracket, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for the pics.

:beer:
I shortened my ford track bar

·
Registered
15 Posts
To those that have completed this swap. I have done this also but I have a couple of questions? First off I should state I built a crossmember that has the radius arms mounts. The radius arms are lengthened with heim joints at the mounts. I have been problems with no return to center with the wheel. I know it is probably a caster issue. I was wondering how far below the frame your radius arm mounts are and what degree c-bushings you are running? Any info about this would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To those that are running lengthened radius arms, how much longer did you make them? Are you using johnny joints or the stock Ford bushing crossmember mounts? THANKS JUDD :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
my radius arms go to the crossmember too, they were lengthened about 6" and used heims, I ended up using 7* bushings in arms. I dont have any problems with the wheel returning to zero, however I'm running a rear spool and it likes to push straight forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts