Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple guys I know are always complaining about full sizemrigs saying they have no placemat placemlike the Hammers/ Rubicon/ Fordyce.
I disagree mostly because their fully loaded toyotas/ jeeps are well into the 5-6,000 lb range.
Does anyone have pics of fullsize broncos or blazers on 37-40" tires running at The Hammers? I've seen several large 4runners and FJ cruisers with full bodies running Dusy with no major issues.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've seen several large 4runners and FJ cruisers with full bodies running Dusy with no major issues.
Dusy is ALOT different than the hammers!!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Ya, but Dusy is a "tight" trail going between the trees without rubbin.
I hear ya........Fullsizes can do the hammers, I wheeled with a dude in a Unimog down there before so don't see why a fullsize couldn't

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His beef is weight. But I think a fully loaded toya or jeep is in the same weight arena with a FSB or blazer

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hope to find out this year. I run a full size wblb GMC with 124'' wb. I have successfully run Fordyce including WHs 1 and 3. No bypasses. I have enjoyed the rubicon on several occasions.
Our plans are to start 2012 off at Johnson Valley to witness the KOH in person.
Im sure there will be lots at JV that my truck may not handle but we will see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 07 JKU weighs about 5500lbs trail ready and my 72 blazer weighed about 4800lbs trail ready, I don't think weight is an issue, the rocks sure don't care. One of my friends Mike (kota4bye) has been out there several times in his 80's K5 blazer with little or no damage IIRC. I like seeing full size rigs on the trail personally.

Mike L.

·
2,773 Posts
For me, weight isnt an issue but I do care about sheet metal and it takes more finesse to get thru some obstacles. Biggest difference for me is seeing over the hood. Visibility out of the yj is much better.

Turkey Claw.

Ive done Dusy and Swamp in it as well. Its the roof leaning into the trees that's the problem there.

k.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I have wheeled almost all of the hammers with one of my buddys that has a full size fj the weights over 5500lbs. You just have to remember that body damage is way over rated..... :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
I have nothing ot add other than both of those are very cool trucks. Nice to see something other then a buggy getting it done.

·
Registered
732 Posts
His beef is weight. But I think a fully loaded toya or jeep is in the same weight arena with a FSB or blazer
Hammers isn't really a trail like dussy/fordyce/rubicon

We wheel "fully loaded" on the rubicon. But at the hammer, setup camp and leave everything behind except lunch and beverages...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, that pic was before I built bumpers for it and I ended up selling it before moving out hear from the Alabama almost 4 years ago. Wish I wouldn't have, it would have been a lot cheaper than my JK has been and that truck put a smile on my face every time I turned the key:grinpimp: It's still a lot of fun to get out with friends and enjoy a day of wheeling though.

Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
My rig is pretty well armored. 2'' tube from under the hood , thru the cab and to the rear bumper. Full 3/8 plate skid plate from oil pan to TC. Truck loaded >< 6-7 K lbs.
I STILL BEAT THE SHEET METAL

As old as I am, I'm still learning to crawl

If that's the only carnage I get on a trip I am a very happy camper.
First trip to JV will be Feb. 7 to 11 2012 to see KOH live and have a little fun.
Hope to make it home in one piece.

See profile pic for reference.Haven't posted any other pics of her yet.

Cab is going to get boatsided before my trip to JV.

·
2,773 Posts
...It's still a lot of fun to get out with friends and enjoy a day of wheeling though.

Mike
This thread is about fullsize trucks at the Hammers. Not fullsize pics of the Hammers. :flipoff2:

k.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts