Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the deal with Cherokees and Wagoneers around here (AZ)? Unless I'm missing something, they are basically the same vehicle.. with the Wagoneer generally (yes, I know there are exceptions) being 4-door and Cherokees being 2-door. It was my understanding that Wagoneers were a more 'luxury' class vehicle..

So why is it that Cherokees fetch a much stiffer price?? Same motor.. same axles.. same tranny.. tcase.. smaller vehicle..

Does less=more somehow??

BTW, I'm looking to buy a 70's Wag or Cherokee for a tow vehicle.. so this is the first time I've noticed this phenomenon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
They are the same; mechanically, identical (though the Waggies of that era only came with autos, full-time cases and V-8's, while the Cherokee could be had with the manual trans, part-time cases and the I-6 as well as the Waggie drivetrains), and the bodies differ only in the number of doors and in the style of the taillights.

Only major difference I can imagine is that the Wide-track models could fit a 33"x12.5" with no lift, while the narrow-track Waggies and Cherokees can't go above a 31"x10.5", and even some of them rub. Even a 4" lift on the narrow-tracks won't let you run more than a 31, while the same lift on a Wide-track will let you run 35's.

Of course, a sawzall is a great equalizer... :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
It is my understanding that waggys were the higher end luxo mobiles like you said...never seen one without air and cruise. The cherokees came in 2 door (widetrack) and 4 door (rare) versions, and were more of the "sportier" of the models. Other than that Bob's got it all covered....:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
The cherokee came in 3 styles: 2dr widetrack(flared fenders-like the j-trucks), 2dr narrow track(same wheelwells as the wagoneer), and 4dr narrow track(just like a wagoneer). The widetrack model has larger wheelwells and the axles are 4" wider than the narrow track, making room for larger tires. The wagoneer was first introduced in '62 and was available in many trim packages ranging from bare bones(rubber mat,radio delete etc..) to the grand wagoneers of the '80's and '90's . There were alot of luxury models through the years; with the introduction of the super,the limited and then the grand they were pushed into the luxury class till the end of production in '91. BTW.. the '91 grand wagoneer was the last american fullsize suv or pickup to have a carburetor. The cherokees were not as common as the wagoneers helping to raise the price. Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.