Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building a 74 K-10, and am getting ready to bolt up my 60 front( which is a full time flanged front axle from a dodge) and was wondering if it is bad to drive a full time front at hiway speeds, Tcase in 2wd High. Will be 44s, and stuff, so...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
The only bad I have heard is extra wear on the front axle and gas mileage. I plan on doing the same myself, I don't think it will matter much (especially for you with 44's).

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
trkklr77 said:
you will probably waste your front drive shaft cv and burn the bearings out on the 205.

205 shouldnt spin that fast on the front.

i know hubs for a 60 are $$$$ but dont run a front shaft till you get some.
Uhhh...no. NP205s can take extended highway speeds in 4hi with no problems. So how would 2hi w/ flanges be different?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
A buddy of mine has pictures of a rig(but a heep) where the front shaft let go and went through the floor boards and almost took off the guys foot with his whife and kids in the car. The guy said he bent the shaft a little on a drop off and didnt think much of it but it fatigued on the highway and let loose.

Charlo

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You really shouldn't have any problems doing this assuming your front shaft is set at a correct operating angle. Most new vehicles don't even have any type of locking hubs or axle disconnects.

Having a part that you know is damaged come flying off on the highway isn't really a good example.....he should have just taken 5 minutes and pulled the shaft. But it would be nice to just be able to unlock the hubs instead......

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
trkklr77 said:
chevy tells you on an oem sticker not go more than 45 in 4x4.
Now I know why nobody liked the full-time 4x4 trucks so common in the '70s........who wants a truck that you can never go over 45 mph with :shaking:

Maybe it says you shouldn't exceed 45 mph in 4 LOW...........

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Hmm, mine tops out ~65 in low. :D

Pete

·
Registered
600 Posts
My front axle is full time(Unimog 404) and I have a 205. I havent had any problems at all, even at 65 mph with 7.56 gears. Besides, you wouldnt drive your truck in 2 wheel drive with a bad rear driveshaft. So why would you with the front.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trkklr77 said:
:shaking:
look , just buy some damn hubs

warn# 9072 $135-ish

was informed (possibly misinformed) that some Dodge 60s cannot be converted to PT, and this is one of em, if I am wrong.... well, I am sure that there is an abundance of you who will let me know

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Is it an old or new dana 60? some older (pre 80's) dodge 60's had drive flanges (like mine) and the truck it was from came with a NP203. If you want hubs for this axle, you can get Spicer hubs (stock) from a later model dodge with the same external hub axle (which ran 75?-89), or you can get MM/Selectro classic hubs for about $150, but NO ONE has anything good to say about those. Warn does not make hubs for this application.

If its a newer dana 60, with CAD and unit bearings...then i have no idea. However, 1990-93 dodge dana 60's are the same arrangement as GM...internal hubs. Warn hubs are available for this axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts