Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I seached first but didn't find what I'm lookin' for.

Got this cool waggy 1972 for a family truckster and a set of 35's that need a home.

was thinkin' a spring over and a axle swap could get me in the ball park, but want to run full width Chebby 44 in front. this is about 6-7 inches wider than stock and waggys don't have a lot of fender clearance in stock form. A cut down is not a real problem, but I like the wider axle, I know where a W/T axle is located but I like wider than that.

have any of you done this swap and how much sawzall was required. Not out of the question to go M-715 style here. Just tryin to get an idea before I get too far along.

thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm running a full width 3/4t d44 in the front of my waggy with only about 5" of lift. 67" wms to wms, flexes well and does not hit at all.....however I cut my fenders out almost to the hood line:D Whenever I figgure out my new camera I'll post some new pics..

Oops, edit... I'm running 36 tsls

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Sawzall is your friend. I run 35's on my 75 POS. The hardest part is the rear door area, but you can cut quite a ways into the rear door if you need to. You will either need to lift it or SOA it. Here is a nice poser driveway shot of mine.

poserville

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gwamp, looks like suspension and body lifts on yours, like maybe 6 or 7 inches worth?

What front axle you runnin'?

the "trim" job looks good though.

Eric

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you can find a set of M715 front fenders they should be an easy swap onto the waggy. If not, I think your best bet may be to work with moving the spring hangers and/or using different springs to move the front axle fwd and the rear axle aft so the fender trimming is easier. It will help your approach and departure angles too.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sundowner said:
watch that rear gas tank, too.
It has a "belly mount" tank forward of the rear axle (nothing but a spare tire behind it), this could pose a prob for rear axle swaps due to the offset nature of the stock rear axle (for driveline to tank clearance).

Eric

Edit: Hmmm, maybe a D60 from a Ford van ? :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
This is a little of topic but isnt a front shakle reversal almost bolt on? Just un bolt the front shakle and bolt it behind the axle:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/tom/tuck

Here are some pictures of my '72 with a 14 bolt rear. I put a 10 bolt front in too, but I don't have pictures of it yet. I moved the rear axle back 3" with new spring mounts and chevy 56" springs.

The front in the pictures is the stock dana 30 with 35" tires in SOA.

I'm using a gas tank from a chevy van that fits in the spare tire location.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm un-willing to go moving the 14 bolt back more than an inch or so in my Cheif for gas tank clearance.
I've had the bizarre thought to use a SRW hub on the driver side and a DRW hub on the pass side. If I were to put a 2" wheel spacer on the DRW hub, I could move the pig 2" to the pass side.
I need to measure, but I think this will clear the tank.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rEdNEcKwHeE1eR said:
... but isnt a front shakle reversal almost bolt on? Just un bolt the front shakle and bolt it behind the axle:D
May be, but not planning shackle reverse at this time. I own 'em both ways and shackle forward does have benefits too. IMO the jury is still out on whether it should be automatic do want shackle reverse (or not).

Eric

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
urjb said:
Gwamp, looks like suspension and body lifts on yours, like maybe 6 or 7 inches worth?

What front axle you runnin'?

the "trim" job looks good though.

Eric
4 inch suspension and 3 inch body and about 4 inches of fender trimming. In that pic it is 44's front and rear. That rig is down at the moment getting upgraded to a 60/14 bolt combo and a new motor. I am looking forward to a wider stance and loosing alot more sheetmetal. I plan to SOA it and loose the body lift. I have to completely re-do the rear suspension if I SOA it. No biggie, fab work keeps me out of trouble.:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm running a full width chevy front and full width dodge D70 in the rear. heres my site: my site. look at my 77 wagoneer. I moved the rear back 3" so the wheelwells would look stock. I cut out 6" from the backside of the rear wheelwells. All the details are in there. Dennis

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oldyellowwagoneer, I like what you've done ... I keep going back and forth on this idea, and after seeing yours I'm back on the "do it" side. Got any more pix?

I'd been thinking that something in between stock and F/W might be wise, like going to a W/T width using a cut down GM D44.

Thanks all

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts