Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am trying to figure out what backspacing to get for my full width 60/14 bolt under my 68 800.
anbody got an idea? Tires will be SX 38.5/14.5/15

I know, I know, the cardpoard pizza cutters make me ;) :rainbow:
adam

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
ideally, the back-spacing that would give you the least amount of scrubbing when you turn. You would want a line drawn through the kinglins, to intersect the ground at the enter line of the tire.

And if you really when all out, you would set your high-steer arms to get the proper ackerman for minimal scrubing...

that said, how can we answer your question?? What is your goal with your back-spacing?? More width, less width, keeping the tires off the springs, not look dumb?????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
duhhhh

right, my goal is to not have the tires not stick out any farther than I have to. as the 800 is already pretty narrow and the full size axles are 8" wider than stock (give or take) I don't want it to look stupidly wide. the 15" rims don't help the backspace issues, but there really seems like no other viable alternative.
your thoughts?
adam

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Re: duhhhh

SortaScout said:
) I don't want it to look stupidly wide.
adam
Better to look stupidly wide then stupidly on your side. :D

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: duhhhh

SortaScout said:
right, my goal is to not have the tires not stick out any farther than I have to. as the 800 is already pretty narrow and the full size axles are 8" wider than stock (give or take) I don't want it to look stupidly wide. the 15" rims don't help the backspace issues, but there really seems like no other viable alternative.
your thoughts?
adam
Thoughts, search on how to fit 15" wheels on a D60. How wide is a matter of preference ask Josh C :D

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Don't know if this will help you or not but here goes. It's my daughter's Scout II, HD D44 @ 69.5", 15x10 w/3.5" BS & 38x12.5.15 SX's ;)

EDIT- BTW, the rear is a 14 bolt and the wheels are 8 lug.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
look at hummer rims... big back-spacing, bead-locks, run flats :D

I remeber Snoop doing I think it was project 2 with full-widths and Hummer rims. Finshed width looked quite good. The way I would concider if I was going full-width.... but I prefer to narrow the axles to what width I want...

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
look at hummer rims... big back-spacing, bead-locks, run flats :D

I remeber Snoop doing I think it was project 2 with full-widths and Hummer rims. Finshed width looked quite good. The way I would concider if I was going full-width.... but I prefer to narrow the axles to what width I want...
I have 5" of BS on a 17x9 and it looks just right IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
james west- It is not quite that tall, the springs have not settled and it was on the jacks about 1.5" higher than it will, be. I also dropped the motor trans xfer way down to lower the CG. It'll still be plenty wider than it is tall. BTW the lift is from SOA, low lift Shackle reversal, 4" cj springs. That's it.

Rubicrawler-The pic does help, looks right to me. That look is really what I was hoping for. I was thinking of 14.5" wide SXs but after seeing yours 12.5 might be the way to go. Thanks

Rustoleum White- Snoopy's bobtail scout has hummer wheels and 2" wheel spacers. I'll agree that the look is killer. I don't like the spacers though. I may have to get custom backspaced hummers

Old Scout-Norm(a big fan of scouts and OJ Simpson) wants to know what tires your running on your 17"s?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
you will need to get 2.5" backspacing if you dont want to do any grinding on the calipers. 3" if a little grinding doesnt bother you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If your trying to get it as narrow as you can without tires rubing the springs at full lock-
Mines 87 1/2" outside the rubber with 38.5x 14.50 SX's and 12" rims. What width rims you use will make a difference. I would recommend 10" beadlocks. This is all on narrowed axles but that has nothing to do with how the tires fit the rig. Just do the math to figure the backspacing.
My wheels aren't on the rig right now but will be this weekend. I'll try to remember to take a couple inside measurements for you.:)

Now that I think about it I don't think you will be able to suck the wheels in together that far with 15" rims and a full width60F. You'll just have to get them tight as you can to the brakes and call it good or get different size tires. Sounds like 16.5's would be the best bet.
That's the start of a nice looking 800 BTW.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
done deal

Well I bit the bullet. I ordered 38x13x16 TSLs on 16x8 Rockcrawler rims yesterday. The thought being that I can run the "right" backspacing without interference issues. The tires were $30/tire cheaper than 15" SXs would have been. The narrower rim is for better bead retention.
Thanks for your help and feedback. I'll post pics when they arrive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
side thought

BTW. my real choice was hummer rims custon backset by http://usa6x6.com/military/rims/ and 38.5x14.5 SXs.Then I started thinking of the winch I could buy with the price difference from what I got and that made the decision for me. I'll probably regret it but that is the way it goes. WTF

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Dude,

Loose the 15's and go with 16.5s. Hummer wheels look SWEET on 800s. I just got my outers back from the powder-coater, and the machinist is finishing my custom inners this week. By next week I'll have my 38.5x14.50x16.5 TSL/SXs mounted.

I'm full width as well, going with cheby stuff, and the hummer rims are 16.5x8.75, I've settled on 4" back spacing.

Remember you can't run 15" rims unless you get 2.75" BS OR grind your calipers. I dont' like the thought of grinding my brakes so I went with larger rims.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
FWIW- grinding the calipers to fit 15" wheels is a piece of cake and you don't have to remove that much material. On mine, most of the grinding was on the backing plate that holds the calipers :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snoopy said:
Dude,

Loose the 15's and go with 16.5s. Hummer wheels look SWEET on 800s.
No lie that Hummers look tits on 800s. I just added the $40/ tire difference, and the additional $680 for custom backset Hummers over rockcrawlers (=$840) and decided 16" rockcrawlers @4"BS and 38x13x16 TSLs would be FINE, JUST FINE.
I know I am gonna be envious of Snoopy the ride when he struts his shiznit on those fine arse wheels and tires, but MY wife will still be making dinner for me as a result of MY decision.

we'll compare them at RMIHR this year, I assume your making the "short" trip. I'll be driving from Michigan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts