·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Thread converted to build thread.

We're building a fullsize Bronco 1989.
The project budget is $35.000,-
Its getting the Chevy LS3 crate engine from Chevrolet Performance. (Blasphemy alert). 6" Lift, 35" Mud Terrain, Replacement rear axle and upgraded TTB in the front with new diff. (I dont want to start a TTB discussion) Both axles will get ARB lockers. Atlas II? transfer case. New driveshafts. It will be used for some crawling, but mostly light off-road duty.

Decision made - 4L80E it is.
Still need to work out links for rear axle (link threads? =D)
Rear axle tech - thinking 9" (Used axle is no option because Norway and my unwillingness to rebuild one myself) Shops that build them, pros cons with 9" and alternatives.
Any information on upgrading the drivetrain in the TTB (New center housing, axles, hubs) appreciated.
I didnt find much in the stickies and hours of reading build-threads have proven contradictive.

Pic for motivation:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you putting an LS in it?

Just use the factory AOD.
The AOD is shot, slipping and kicking. The 5.0 has a crack in it somewhere, consuming coolant. I have been looking at reliable Ford V8's. Living in Norway, fuel economy really comes into play, so no carburator.

Do you have good suggestions for an injected replacement V8 that can match LS performance, price and dependability?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just buy one fully done for $15K, go on a $5k vacation and buy another project with the remaining $15K.

I want to know what a $35K bronco ends up looking like.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
The AOD is shot, slipping and kicking. The 5.0 has a crack in it somewhere, consuming coolant. I have been looking at reliable Ford V8's. Living in Norway, fuel economy really comes into play, so no carburator.

Do you have good suggestions for an injected replacement V8 that can match LS performance, price and dependability?
Coyote with a good tune and 4R70W trans. Or Ecoboost 3.5 takeout and matching computer/trans/harness.

It's a Bronco, you've pretty much got no excuse on packaging. Anything will fit in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just buy one fully done for $15K, go on a $5k vacation and buy another project with the remaining $15K.

I want to know what a $35K bronco ends up looking like.
I live in Norway - shipping and small pieces kill me. Also its a chevrolet-country so LS parts have a higher availiability here...
Believe me, I would like there to be a Ford motor in my engine bay.

$35K includes some shop doing body work and paint, overlanding equipment like roof rack, lights, tent, cooler / drawers, winch, jack, mattrax, spare battery, bumpers... You do the math =)
Also, its an estimate, dont do something you cant afford. If I have spare cash, Ill not throw it in the toilet...

I knew the flames would lick my back with the LS chit-chat, thanks for indulging =)

Any real experience out there with actual Coyote fullsize-Broncos though?

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
I live in Norway - shipping and small pieces kill me. Also its a chevrolet-country so LS parts have a higher availiability here...

$35K includes some shop doing body work and paint, overlanding equipment like roof rack, lights, tent, cooler / drawers, winch, jack, mattrax, spare battery, bumpers... You do the math =)
Also, its an estimate, dont do something you cant afford. If I have spare cash, Ill not throw it in the toilet...

I knew the flames would lick my back with the LS chit-chat, thanks for indulging =)

The Coyote is still pretty new to the scene compared to the 2 decade old LS so you probably won't find many swaps yet. A better vehicle to examine would be the F150 considering a detuned version has been the base engine for the last 6 years or so.

·
Atomic Test Lab Rat
3,689 Posts
Since everyone else can't get the Coyote dicks out of their mouths :flipoff2: Ill answer the original question. I wouldn't bother with a 4L65E, they are not known for their reliability. The 4L80E is a much better choice for that motor. Trailblazer SS's run a 4L70E with 400hp and its a common failure point.

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,590 Posts
GM drivetrain in Fords make the baby Jesus cry....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the idea.

I put together a 4l60e for my street s10, it works well in that little truck. GM put them into 3/4 ton silverados and suburbans. In these applications they were not known for there reliability. If you put something with a bit of power in it I don't think it will last.

Spending the money on a 4l80 would be a good call.

Does your bronco have to pass any type of inspection in norway?

·
Registered
666 Posts

I meant buy a whole bronco all done, didn't realize you're in Norway. I have no issue with whatever motor works for you. I'd look at a small diesel.

·
Registered
16,114 Posts
Since you're in Norway, I'll modify my opinion :flipoff2:

Put a diesel in it :flipoff2: What type of ford availability is there over there? What kind of emissions?

What about vehicle inspections - will you get grief if the engine doesn't match the vehicle (IE: c1995 chevy motor in 1993 ford vehicle)?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts