Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story. I was swapping out third members this last weekend and had the brakes apart etc. When I went to bleed them I had the rear drums off. My mistake so te pistons came off and I had to take the brakes apart to get it back in. An extra headache. Well now when I am driving I push on the pedal and it has a little bit of braking power then if feels like an extra boost of brake comes in. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help

btw this is on an 85 with solid axel, disc front and drum rear. on 35" tires

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I am pretty sure you bled your brakes....but sometimes, it is necessary to stick a pump on the bleeding end of it to get all the air out. I would bet they just arent bled completely...

KC

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I bet you've still got air in the lines. Bleed em again, OOP's will most likely pop up and post his method which he has posted a million times. Or search for it. Its the method given in the FSM.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OOP'S said:
Check the FAQ's, it is the seconded item. Everyone who does any brake work does that once!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Thanks guys. I will power bleed em tommorow at auto shop.High school......

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, bled the brakes today with a little pump bleader and with the someone push on the pedal etc. Well it worked fine for a while, but now its doing the same thing again? I am so lost. Any other things that could be going wrong? I did get brake fluid on the pads the night I put it all back together, but I cleaned it off with brake cleaner a few times in a row and it looks fine. I even had some other people look at it at the tire shop I work at.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, been messing around with sutf. The brakes just don't feel right. I un-zip tied my lpsv and let it hang loose. I can't lock up the rears any more, but I also can't stop really. Its kindof scary. So any other options I could do to make this work better?

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
klif02 said:
Alright, been messing around with sutf. The brakes just don't feel right. I un-zip tied my lpsv and let it hang loose. I can't lock up the rears any more, but I also can't stop really. Its kindof scary. So any other options I could do to make this work better?
replace the stock LSPV... it sucks, to put it lightly.

EDIT: And, when my brakes were all kinds of bad; it took all this to get it stopping right:

New MC, rebuilt calipers, new drum actuators, pads all around, resurface drums/rotors, and replace the LSPV with a Wilwood one.

New MC: 35$ Rebuilt calipers 35$ (I think?) resurface everything: 30$ Pads: 20$ LSPV and connectors etc: 120$

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the guy before me put brand new calipers and brake pads front and new brake pads rear. I just turned the rotors and drums myself but that was at least a week before I started swapping the third members out. Hmm could I have put the front brakes back together wrong? I have the spring that goes between the two pins in and the return spring that goes between the pads. What gives? how much is that wildwood one. I hate having the stupid stock valve there. Is it easy to set up?

Wait, I need to get my rear d-line cv-d before I get anything else. These vibes are killing me

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
klif02 said:
Well, the guy before me put brand new calipers and brake pads front and new brake pads rear. I just turned the rotors and drums myself but that was at least a week before I started swapping the third members out. Hmm could I have put the front brakes back together wrong? I have the spring that goes between the two pins in and the return spring that goes between the pads. What gives? how much is that wildwood one. I hate having the stupid stock valve there. Is it easy to set up?

Wait, I need to get my rear d-line cv-d before I get anything else. These vibes are killing me
Its really easy, you can get em for about 60$. My truck doesnt have the return springs on the caliper, all it does it make them squeak in the morning.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My master Cylinder went out immediately after I replaced my rears. It drove me crazy because I could not good pedal pressure and I thought that I had air in the line too. I went though two quarts of brake fluid bleeding, re-bleeding and re-bleeding and replacing the front calipers before I figured it out. I assume that the new fluid "cleaned" out the the gunk that was keeping the MC working. My clue was that they would work only if I pumped the pedal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question for SR5Dave

SR5Dave,
Where did you get a new Master Cylinder for $35??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts