Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I know it's not anything new, but I think it's time to jump in with both
feet. I'm new to 4x4, but older. I know I have a lot to learn. I Misspell a lot.

I rounding up parts & pieces, and unfortunately it will take time. I'll do my
best to keep the build going as fast I can.

Feel free to SLAP sense into me when I say or want to do something Dumb.

I've started My Bronco I'm sure I've made a ton of mistakes already.
It will have a 5.9 Cummins and a Allison 6speed. TTB50 & Dana60
My understanding is that a Dana44 won't take the weight or torque
of the 5.9.

OK Let her rip! Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
First mistake is TTB dana 50... Put a Dana 60 front and 10.25 sterling rear out of a F-350 4x4.

TTB generally sucks balls except for maybe some pre-runner guys that love them for jumping dunes.

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
First mistake is TTB dana 50... Put a Dana 60 front and 10.25 sterling rear out of a F-350 4x4.

TTB generally sucks balls except for maybe some pre-runner guys that love them for jumping dunes.
This. Don't waste your time on a 50 at all. Not much to be had out of them and in the long run, that 60 won't look so expensive.

10.25s are so cheap and available you may as well run one too. Way superior to a 60 rear.

This idea is cool and different though. Tell me you're going to run the 80-86 front clip?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
billybob_81067
I hear what your saying the TTB 50
The 50 & 60 are from a free parts truck, I'm also wanting a better ride than what the soild axle gives.

Dr. Danger
Thanks, hope it turns out cool, and I like Different. As far as the front, tentatively I'm really going out of the BOX. I'LL see if I can find a pic

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chassis

I was thinking of using the donor trucks chassis- it's a 85-6 F350 (had a 6.9)
Or I could use a F450 chassis that had a diesel engine.

OR out of the Box--the chassis from the F700 I got the front nose from. :eek:

What would you use?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I leaf sprung d60 with 99-03 springs will ride MUCH better than a leaf spring d50 ttb. And as said above sell off the shitty d60 rear and grab a sterling. Just having outboard drums is the biggest selling point for me. Can pick them up for 150 or so

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
A few constructive things here,

Dana 50 is leaf spring and doesn't ride that great. Like said 99-03 leaf springs with a Dana 60 will ride pretty good. Sterling is a no brainer for a truck with a Cummins and 37s

The F700 nose with 37s will look out of proportion I think. They are really wide so You'd need a wider front axle or ridiculous wheel spacers to fill it out. Would look sexy with the 80s nose, but I'm a fan of those.

I'd be using the 85-6 F350 frame you mentioned.

Cool project, a lot of work to make it come out nice! Kind of like a shorter wheelbase Centurion

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Subybaja
Yes I'm a FORD guy, I really don't want a 4dr and I want to keep the wheelbase within reason.

DieselCrawler
The plan was to use the Bronco coils on the Dana 50. Sounds like it's Sterling Time.

posford
I was thinking the same thing on the Nose. But I like the idea of the tilt front end-ease
of access to the engine.
I was leaning towards the F450 frame, it's HD compared to the F350 and it is flat & straight like the Bronco frame in the back. Plus it will be easy to shorten. Maybe?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The plan was to use the Bronco coils on the Dana 50. Sounds like it's Sterling Time.

I was thinking the same thing on the Nose. But I like the idea of the tilt front end-ease
of access to the engine.
I was leaning towards the F450 frame, it's HD compared to the F350 and it is flat & straight like the Bronco frame in the back. Plus it will be easy to shorten. Maybe?
Coils and D50 have been done, but its a pain. Whether you go 350 or 450 it should be set up for leaf springs already, so there's that.

You could make the steel front clip a tilt nose, was all the rage in the 80s. With a Cummins, I doubt you'll have access issues, plenty of room on the sides

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
posford
Access issues were from not having to hang over the fender/radiator on a lifted Bronco
As you can see from the body, Pain is what I'm in for. But I'm all for keeping the pain
down all that's possible.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
The TTb 50 aint that bad for street or even mild offroad. i mean the fact that companies are actually retrofitting them to vehicles over a d60 does say something. depends on what you want and cost. I personally have seem some impressive ttb action with extended arms and good coils.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
pennsyvaniaboy
My thoughts were along those same lines, being a trail type camping rig.
Cost being very important also.

This will become my Daily also. Replacing my Very tired Ranger.

So what do you think about it becoming a EXTENDED CAB BRONCO ??

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
pennsyvaniaboy
My thoughts were along those same lines, being a trail type camping rig.
Cost being very important also.

This will become my Daily also. Replacing my Very tired Ranger.

So what do you think about it becoming a EXTENDED CAB BRONCO ??
:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp::smokin::smokin::smokin: awesome idea, I have never seen it done

1 - 20 of 88 Posts