Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for anyone buying a new super duty with the new tow command system.

It comes with the optional 2.5 inch receiver. Yes I said 2.5 not 2.0. Try and find a ball mount for a 2.5. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whatever you do, if you are planning on towing don't leave the dealer without a ball mount! Cause you won't find one at the auto parts store! :mad3:

"This strong new frame extends back to an optional new 2.5-inch hitch receiver. This is an increase from the previous 2-inch receiver, and allows the higher conventional tow rating. "

http://www.fordtrucks.com/specs/2005/2005_superduty.html

The new coil front ends ride nice. But it's still a POS blue oval 6.0. IMHO. :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,166 Posts
The Reese Titan also uses a 2 1/2" reciever hitch. You can get a 2 1/2" - 2" adapter bushing for about $10.00 at most RV stores.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,156 Posts
I've got a barely used Reese titan 2.5 x 3" drop ballmount if anyone needs one $25 + shipping or I can bring it to a race.

Good job blue oval!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,625 Posts
oh boy.. a POS ford 6.slow with a hitch thats got nothing conventional about it.. sounds like ford had thier heads up thier collective asses (again)
Scott
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,156 Posts
Po' riggity said:
oh boy.. a POS ford 6.slow with a hitch thats got nothing conventional about it.. sounds like ford had thier heads up thier collective asses (again)
Scott
Dunno,
I like my Cummins, but I know not to try and drag race a 6.0, they scream with an Edge Juice on them. What's so bad about a beefier receiver and rating, especially when they give you the adapter sleeve? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,625 Posts
Maybe all the 6.0's Ive been up against in my 600 just didn't have competent drivers behind them, but my 6 spd CTD whooped on thier auto equipped 6.0's every time, from light to light.
Id rather have a standard 2" than rely on an "adapter sleeve"
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,453 Posts
That 2.5 hitch is much better. I wore the hitch out on my Ford, and now the Dodge hitch is going to need replacing. The Dodge is 14.5 months old and has about 190k on it, 186k towing a two car (35') enclosed trailer! Yeah, the 2" is sufficient, but the 2.5 really is a lot stronger, it should be an option item though. BTW, the hitch pin holes are the first thing to wear out, then they crack at the welds.

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
108,049 Posts
Not going to mean much to me. My next towrig is going to be an F550. Hoping for a 2006. Now that they've inproved the interior on them to match the Lariat's, it's the right choice. Ought to be more fun with the extra 30" of wheelbase in the parking garage too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,721 Posts
EMIEVEL said:
That 2.5 hitch is much better. I wore the hitch out on my Ford, and now the Dodge hitch is going to need replacing. The Dodge is 14.5 months old and has about 190k on it, 186k towing a two car (35') enclosed trailer! Yeah, the 2" is sufficient, but the 2.5 really is a lot stronger, it should be an option item though. BTW, the hitch pin holes are the first thing to wear out, then they crack at the welds.

Chris


Or the pin hole streches out to look like an oval :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
Po' riggity said:
Maybe all the 6.0's Ive been up against in my 600 just didn't have competent drivers behind them, but my 6 spd CTD whooped on thier auto equipped 6.0's every time, from light to light.
Id rather have a standard 2" than rely on an "adapter sleeve"
Scott
Maybe they were not racing
:D
The 600 with the stick will not equal the 6.0 in a stop light to stop light race. Everyone knows the 5.9 is a great motor no need for a bullshit story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,102 Posts
Joey D said:
Maybe they were not racing
:D
The 600 with the stick will not equal the 6.0 in a stop light to stop light race. Everyone knows the 5.9 is a great motor no need for a bullshit story.
I can only tell you what Ive experienced. Whether or not you believe it is another story.
Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,025 Posts
makeupqueEn said:
I can only tell you what Ive experienced. Whether or not you believe it is another story.
Scott
I have yet to find a dodge that can even attempt to keep up with my 03 7.3 :smokin:

what kind of fuel mileage are you getting BTW? Actual, not computer calculated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
The 2.5" receiver upgrade is good but not the best upgrade on the 05's. The frame rails are stronger and larger and they stay with the same "C" style channel used on all large trucks. No gay hydroformed bullshit like Dodge switched to.

BTW, when you put a load on a new CTD 600 it won't have a chance keeping up with the same load on a 6.0 auto or 6-spd. Once the turbo spools up, the PSD walks away. I test drove an '05 CC F-350 the other day and they seem to have fixed the annoying accelerator pedal lag that the '04 models had. I am not sold on the coil spring front end though, the turning radius increase is substantial compared to my '02 though.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top