Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been pondering upgrading to high pinion fz80 3rd's in my fj40 for better clearance, driveline angle, and supposedly stronger? and was just checking this out on marlin crawler, they have empty fz80 3rd housing's for $265 just wondering if anyone knows will the fz80 3rd housing use all my fj40 diff parts? i've already got detroits and don't want to start all over again you know? http://www.marlincrawler.com/3rd_cruiser.html

·
Registered
982 Posts
The front 3rd, which is the high pinion, will not fit in your housings. They are bascially equal to the mini truck 3rds, 8" Ring gear. Only the rear 3rds will swap in and those are not high pinion.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
so the front of an 80 has a mini sized third but has huge birf's ? or am I missing something. is it possible to put the ends off an 80 axle onto a fj40 housing and then use the 80 birf's , knuckles , brakes , etc. ???????

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There is no way that the 8" HP could live in your rear axle, and I saw one HP destroy the stock spider carrier completely in Moab a few years ago in a front axle only turning 35s.

Others can go more indepth, but it's rather hard to graph the 80 knuckles onto the 40/55/60 housing. Steeting solutions get to be $$$ aswell, since the tierod bolts to the bottom of the knuckle.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
does noone know thw damn answer , cmon , I know the length is different but can't you just get custon inners or are the 80 birf's totally different spline than mini's and 40's.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you're going to go to all the expense, you might as well just have a custom width 1 ton made.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
peesalot said:
does noone know thw damn answer , cmon , I know the length is different but can't you just get custon inners or are the 80 birf's totally different spline than mini's and 40's.
Damn newbies! Search! :flipoff2:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241557&highlight=80+series+birfs

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219318&highlight=80+series+birfs

I believe the inners are 27 spline as well. If Bobby extends his new line of 30 spline, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have larger 30 spline 80 axles.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
GreenPig said:
There is no way that the 8" HP could live in your rear axle, and I saw one HP destroy the stock spider carrier completely in Moab a few years ago in a front axle only turning 35s.

QUOTE]

But that was also on a truck that had already broke the rear and a truck that was probably pushing the 7k lb mark climbing on a steep hill with ample traction to the tires.

Anything is possible. How much time and money do you want to spend? 80 series birfs are huge compared to even 60/mini birfs. You wouldn't be able to fit them with grinding. The easiest way to do this is to convert to mini truck axles and toss in the 80 series thirds.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
ginericfj80 said:
But that was also on a truck that had already broke the rear and a truck that was probably pushing the 7k lb mark climbing on a steep hill with ample traction to the tires.
Exactly. It's not strong enough. :)

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
An 8" HP diff will NOT survive in the back of anything over 2K lbs and with more than 20HP. Marlin tried it a number of times and they simply don't work. We're not talking about a D-60 here... Up front? Yup. Rear? Nope.

And Yeti is right - they won't fit a 40/60 housing.

·
Registered
982 Posts
rockota said:
An 8" HP diff will NOT survive in the back of anything over 2K lbs and with more than 20HP. Marlin tried it a number of times and they simply don't work. We're not talking about a D-60 here... Up front? Yup. Rear? Nope.

And Yeti is right - they won't fit a 40/60 housing.
Dude, we need to get you a cruiser. You seem to keep popping up with all these cruiser links, now showing up in the cruiser section. It's fate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts