Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will 15 inch rims fit on an FZJ 80? They come with 16's stock, but can i squeeze 15's on?

·
Registered
294 Posts
fronts will fit. rear you will have to grind on the rear calipers to get the rim to clear. assuming you have rear discs. no year listed in your description, but doubt you have an oddball 93 with a drum brake rear. if you have the drum brake rear, no grinding needed. one thing that sucks about grinding is that twice i drove my 80 through fordyce and bent rims(steel rockcrawlers) which caused some unsavory noises. why go to 15's any way? jump up to 17's!

nick

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You can run 15s without grinding if you run real shallow backspacing. I ran 2.5" backspaced with 35s on 15s for awhile on my 94. This does cause some issues with rubbing on the flare but it gives awesome clearance in the wheel well. I figured it out once and I'm thinking about 2.75" would be the least you could go. 3" might be possible. Try to find somebody with those wheels and give it a shot. Or you could run 1" or so spacers and run a more stock backspaced 15" wheel. I would not grind the calipers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
i would not do it again either, especially to run the black rockcrawler rims. they suck ass on an 80. i bent 5 of those rims in 2 years. just not heavy duty enough. i'd rather keep the stock rims and powder coat them black or grey or something. i ran the stock rims through rubicon with no problems. problems only started when i ran the 15". i lost more beads, etc. i tended to drive pretty hard, so your results may very of course..........
nick

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Stock steel FJ60 wheels fit front and rear. I checked using my old roommate's spare.

Basically I think you just have to try it and see, some will fit, others won't. Depends on backspacing and wheel design.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts