Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if it were possible...ive heard of the diesel vw motors in a zuk just wondering if a g-6o were possible...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I dont see why you couldn't, they almost all run the same tranny. The only problem is comming across that engine for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like those G-60 engines

I have the adapter kits for the VW to Samurai trans and you are correct they will fit ALL the VW four cylinder water cooled family of engines.

I also have adapter kits to use the Toyota 22R four cylinder style transmissions, stick or auto as well as the Tracker/Sidekick manual or auto.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, that has a different bellhousing bolt pattern but it would be cool

·
Registered
300 Posts
do you think it could be done using your VW kit but with a differnt adapter plate (with a toy tranny behind it)

·
Registered
65 Posts
The starter position is wrong as well, It bolts to the block instead of the transmission and the drive gear would be 2 inches away from the flywheel ring gear. Too many differences to try to make it work. I'm not saying it can't be done just not economically.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ACME Adapters said:
I like those G-60 engines

I have the adapter kits for the VW to Samurai trans and you are correct they will fit ALL the VW four cylinder water cooled family of engines.

I also have adapter kits to use the Toyota 22R four cylinder style transmissions, stick or auto as well as the Tracker/Sidekick manual or auto.

Tried your website, it doesn't come up - is there another link?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I guess do it if you already have one, but otherwise I wouldnt. the g lader(supercharger) is not very reliable(seal issues) and are pretty scarce nowadays. many corrado g60 people convert to turbo. an ABA 2L 8v out of a mk 3 golf or jetta would be the best bet IMO. the complete engine can be had for anywhere from $300 to $1000 depending on condition. you can slap a JH head and CIS injection from a rabbit GTI on there, getting a nice high compression, torquey, simple motor. with a 2.25 exhaust you'd be sitting at a good 120hp.
a 16v of the 2.0 or 1.8 variety would be cool too, just more expense and complication along with the power increase. a 2.0 16v with a 2.25 exhaust is usually around 150 hp but a decent 2.0 is gonna cost more llike 1500. these can be run on cis-e from a scirocco 16v.
then theres the turbo diesels, which are really torquey albeit hard to find. Ive heard of a stock bottom end 1.6td running 30psi with a welded wastegate, intercooler, and propane, but cant confirm it. guessing around 200ft-lbs or more?? they are awesome motors when turned up a little bit. great mpg, decent hp, great torque. not sure how much they cost though. look for one in a mk2 jetta.
the modern 1.9 TDI is a pretty expensive and complicated swap but is the ultimate IMO.

·
Registered
300 Posts
ACME Adapters said:
The starter position is wrong as well, It bolts to the block instead of the transmission and the drive gear would be 2 inches away from the flywheel ring gear. Too many differences to try to make it work. I'm not saying it can't be done just not economically.
damn htat sucks, VW gas motors are cheap up here, a VR6 is about $1500 CAN
a 16V can be had for about $500 with 60,000km

I might have to look into this swap, way cheaper than a disel, i think they are better motors than susuki motors and out nice power
How bad would wiring up a GTI motor be?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I had a 1.8 8 valve in mine for about a year. If you go to my website, then click on my old pages, you will see the build up.

Peter up in BC did a similar swap, and when that engine died he dropped in a 2.0 16 valve ( I think that was the motor ) and that was more work, but looked really nice and reported great things. I just heard from him about 2 weeks ago, and it sounded like he was thinking of selling it. (He does really nice work!)

I really liked the power of the 1.8 in mine. The flat torque curve meant you did not have to shift as often, and I could go an honest 100 mph. Compared to a Suzuki powered car, it hummed along just fine. I think a 2.0 would be about ideal in a Samurai.

We just built up a Samurai with a Toyota Tocoma 2.4 engine, and that is really nice, but much more complicated to install. The VW engines do fit into the Samurai pretty darn well, and that helps make the install a lot easier. But I should warn that the Acme kit does not clock the engine the same way as the Keltec kits that Peter and I used, so you may have a better fit, or a worse fit. The VW gas motors tend to have some very large intakes that can cause trouble, so be warned.

-Wayne

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think im going to go this rout..i have the toyota drive line and axles and the g-6o...so why not make a project outta it...all i need now is the adaptors and the wiring harness for a digifant 1 injection system with the computer...on the + side of the super charger its been sent off to bren braun motor sports already and makes 14+ lbs of boost and works flawlessly... so when i start ill let you know how it turns out...if it isnt worth a crap offroad it will be fast thats for sure

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have one of those too (sammy) i traded some toyota lift springs for it the axles are locked but too weak to hold up to it (g-60) but ill see what i can and cant do... either way it'll be fun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts