Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm throwing an 80-something waggy 44 uder the XJ. Is there any reason to ditch the slugs in favor of lock-outs. The Jeep will rarely see pavement, and it seems the drive flanges are a stronger option. I've already searched (all 19 pages:eek: ) and know I can swap to Warn premiums for around 70 bones. What is the problem with leaving them as is?
-Jon

·
Registered
192 Posts
did you really read all of the posts? :p

the only advantage(s) of warn lockouts is that they're easier to unlock and the bling bling factor.

to unlock your slugs you'll have to pull the cap, and pop out the snap ring. to unlock warns you just crank the dial.

so it all depends on how often you want to unlock your hubs, and how big of a deal it is to you.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
maybee im just blind but.......... how does pulling the snapring unlock my slugs? the splines are still engaged?

Nate

·
Registered
192 Posts
sorry, pull out the snap ring, and let the spring push out your splined thingamagig and then you're unlocked. Greasy and time-consuming, especially when compared to unlocking the hubs.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
tuckster said:
sorry, pull out the snap ring, and let the spring push out your splined thingamagig and then you're unlocked. Greasy and time-consuming, especially when compared to unlocking the hubs.
:confused:

im still lost.. my slugs have no springythingymajig. Just a bolt on splined chunk of steel that holds the stub splines? there is nothing to dis-engage??

·
Registered
192 Posts
is it a dodge axle?
I thought we were talking about Grand Waggy 44's. They have a chrome cap, a snap ring/clip, a slug and a spring. Remove the cap, remove the clip and the spring pushes the slug out. Don't know how yours work, sorry.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
mine are g-waggy slugs on a scout axle. cap/slug/stub end/c-lip/rest of stub.

there is nothing to slide in there.

:confused: still

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yours is more of a drive flange. A slug does the same thing only it goes inside the hub and has teeth on the inside and outside. The teeth in the little hole engage the shaft, while the teeth on the outside engage the teeth on the inside of the hub. These usually have a big spring that goes on first to help get the slug out. When you remove the clip, the spring pushes the slug out either into your waiting hand, or the dirt...

A chrome cap goes over the end of the hub.

Yours would work the same if you had a cap that took the place of it and didn't engage the shaft.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
okokokokok.. i gotcha now.. lol.. i thought a slug was a slug was a flange was a slug. hmm.. sliding innie outtie things would be cool.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
There's really no unlocking of the slugs, that I know of. Once you pull that snap ring, the thing can walk out...and your axle shaft floats around in there like a baseball bat in an open cave.

The slugs are strong, if you want a full time axle.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Slugs, driveflanges, full-time hubs, whatever, they all do the same job and they are all somewhat stronger than a lockout hub, the only confusion here came with the issue of external vs. internal hubs.

The internal hubs can be made to free wheel by pulling the chrome cap, retaining ring, snap ring, slug, and spring, and re-placing only the retaining ring and cap (although I'd put the snap ring back on the stub shaft so I wouldn't loose it)

The external hubs can be mad to free wheel by having a spare set of flanged with the splines drilled out, then just pull the tin cap, snap ring, unbolt the flange, bolt up the drilled out flange, and re-install the tin cap.

An those external hubs (often called Dana 44 HD hubs - don't know why) didn't come from any Grand Waggy, they only came on pre '76-ish 3/4-tons with full-time cases, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, take your pick, part-timers of that era would have had those funky old HUGE Spicer lockouts that stick out another 5"-6" past the hub.

Once again the Jeep tech section has jumped into the wayback machine and traveled all the way back to no fawking shit day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.