Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G52 is chain drive T case. :barf: thats what I had installed in my truck.

I have a G54 which has a broken shift rod. and has gear drive T case :grinpimp:

I have them both apart. While attempting to use the G52's parts on the G54 I discovered that the rods are identical between the two, except the G52 uses bolts to secure the forks and the other uses roll pins.

Plus, the holes between the rods are about 1/4" apart from each other.

the reason for that is, the G54 uses steel forks, which are narrow, and the G52 uses aluminum forks which are wide. I really do not want to drill an extra hole in the rod, as i would probably fuck up, and plus it will weaken the rod.

the syncro coupler for the front most two gears (I think it is 1st/2nd) is narrow on the G54, the G52 is wide. and each fork will only fit in the trans it came out of.

So I thought I would just swap out the syncro coupler, but since I dont have the right tool to get the C clip off the shaft, trying other methods of removal prove ineffective. I can probably do it, after a lot of effort.

or, instead of that approach, I think I may be able to just use the G52, even though according to Marlin, the G54 is better, cause the bearings are beefier.

But in order to use the G52 with the G54's gear driven T-case I have to pull the shaft coupler off, that mates the trans to the transfer.

I have not attempted to get it off, cause I measured the distance between the bearing and the front of the coupler. The measurments differ between the two transmissions. Plus the shafts look slightly different.

It appears as though it would fit, just not all the way.

The case that bolts between the trans and transfer for the gear driven, off the G54, bolts to the G52. Some of the lubrication reservoirs and oil passages are different, but, it will bolt up.

So here are the questions:

is the 1st/2nd syncro coupler going to swap over to the other trans?

and the other option, what is the result of swapping out the shaft coupler?

I know this is a lot of crap to read, but thanks for the replys :flipoff2:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno. :confused: I bought it at a scrap yard years ago, and have been running it on my driver ever since. I do not believe it has ever been apart, to have modified to a chain case. Cause there is that red sealant between each housing, and there is no indicators otherwise.

that is strange. :shocked:

I just got the C clip off the input shaft, but again lack of tools prevent me from getting the bearing off. my puller is not long enuff.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is certainly not a gear drive. It has 5 bolts, and I even pulled the fill plug and saw the chain.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill get some pics of the case.

I know you can buy the red shit anywhere. but like I said, there is no other indicators, like scrpe marks on the sealing surface from scraping off the old silicone.

And besides why would someone downgrade?
-wait, nevermind. I have seen enuff dumbass posts from newbs here to retract that statment.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
it is certainly not a gear drive. It has 5 bolts, and I even pulled the fill plug and saw the chain.
you sure it's a g52 or g54?

you need an adapter to get a gear case on a newer 150 to convert from chain, so it's stands to reason a chain case won't bolt onto a gear case trans
here is marlins pic of a g52-4

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
from marlin's site:
G52 bearing # B32-14UR, 32BC08S1N

G54 32TM03NX, 32BCS4-2NSLN, 32BCS8-2MT2N

I just checked the numbers on what I thoght untill this moment is a G52

32BCS8MT2

:rolleyes:

Damn this sucks. beforeI pulled it,I took pics of the trans and compared them with the pics on Marlin's site. He said the cases where identical. The one I have looks the exact same as the one on his site, and the G54. I did double check the G54 bearing numbers. It is certainly a G54. I'll be damn'd

well at this tranfercase pics at this point aint much help, but oh well.

the chain case

the gear case

now here are the trans cases side by side

the one in question is on left. tho one on the right is for sure the G54

1 - 9 of 9 Posts