Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got off the phone with Gale Banks Engineering and the sales rep told me that NO ONE is allowed to sell their products but them. I asked why I see their stuff for sale online everywhere and he told me that if I order from an online source, they will NOT ship it, and that source will receive a letter from their attorney. He quoted me $490 for my header shipped to my door. I then caled 4wd.com and they told me that they had some of these IN STOCK for $369!!!

My question; what is the deal with Banks? Who is full of shit here? I highly doubt that some other company is copying Banks' design AND illegally using their logos....

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I'm willing to bet that it is their way to ensure HUGE markups on products.
Not an issue for me since I think their stuff is WAY overpriced and don't do much compared to other vendors. I will never install a Bank$ product on my Cummins.

There is a reason why we spell them with Bank$.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this were the case, everyone in the world who bought a Banks product from any other resale company, no matter how reputable, has a bogus product with no warranty? I think not. This is why there are authorized dealers. An online search of BanksPower authorized dealers returns a long list of companies. 4wheelparts.com, 4x4groupbuy.com, 4wd.com, quadratec.com, etc....

I have no problem with the price differences, but I do take issue with being misled by a corporate suit........

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
It seems lately that Banks has been acting rather poorly. I have read petty childish misleading ads in magazines, seen the same in TV commercials and recently read an article by Gale Banks himself that was little more than an attempt to bash his competitors. :rolleyes: Rather pathetic behavior IMHO.

Banks does make top quality products and they do know what they are doing, but they are far from a good bargain. There is a lot of competition in the diesel performance market these days and many of Banks' competitors seem to be more innovative, quicker to market, better performance numbers, and much better prices. IMHO Banks is having trouble dealing with the competition and rather than rise to the challenge they are throwing a temper tantrum.

I personally like Bully Dog. :p Of course this is all opinion. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There is a reason Gale Banks will never get another penny of my money. The only product I ever bought was the header for my Jeep and that was a long time ago. I got it from OK4WD though, and paid a lot less than straight through Banks. I notice OK4WD still has them listed. Hmmmm.

Either way, Banks is going to run themselves out of the market in a hurry with their "holier-than-thou" attitude.

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
chris demartini said:
banks = rip off

your paying for huge markup and huge pretty advertisments. anything they have you can find better in the vendors section for less.
Not to mention the fact that they use shitty 409 stainless for their stuff

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
There full of shit. I probably have a mill or so in stock in my where house. Just go to your loack parts guy or truck accesorie center and I am sure that they can get it for you.

But I would put Bully Dog or Edge on befor Banks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow! I put a Banks Powerpack on my Cummins and it has performed flawlessly for years now. I bought mine in '99 so maybe things have changed but back then they were the only ones to offer a complete package that would monitor EGT's and de-fuel if needed. I agree that even then the prices were higher than most but I will say that they do have a quality product that performs for the long term. As to other companies having better numbers what do you mean? More HP and TQ? Hell, I could build 400 hp and 1000 ft lbs but what would it get me? A broken truck. As it stands, I have roached two clutches and now my tranny, all at 100k miles and 648ft lbs. I just ordered a South Bend clutch and a new NV4500 with Quad 4x4's new output shaft, to the tune of $5k.
How much power do you need?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
We have been totally stoked with our Banks Six Gun/Speedloader, Exhaust kit, Big Head bypass, intake kit, and especially exhaust brake...

I've never seen a better run install dept. and their service was top notch.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Its not just about hp and tq. I know a number of people who have products from other companies that are putting down as much or more power than comparable Banks products and much lower EGTs better mileage and MUCH less money. I had my computer burned in my 7.3L PSD for $75 with an 80HP burn. Comparable power from Banks would have been $300+. I work with a guy who has the 6-gun power pack in his 99 PSD short bed 2wd extra cab and my '01 6-speed crewcab longbed 4x4 is faster, smoother, and cooler than his. He paid over $1K for his crap. I do have to admit his exhaust tip looks better than mine. :p YMMV

Banks has a lot of theory that he applies to his race projects to produce massive numbers but even those cost a fortune. You can get much much better performance from companies like Edge, TST, BullyDog, DP-Tuner, etc., for a lot less money. Its competition and with their attitude, high prices, and mediocre performance Banks is losing. The real winners here are we the consumers. Thats a good thing. :D

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
THEBUGGYMAN said:
First, you have a Ford.

Second, only 80 extra HP?

:flipoff2:

Dodge didn't have a real crewcab when I bought mine. :flipoff2:

I didn't want the flip chip, though I have been thinking about it, and I wanted something that would help mileage and I could still tow with it. I actually started with the rare 275hp 7.3L. I know its not a drag monster like some of the newer dodge and chevy trucks but I like mine better than any dodge or chevy I have been in, and my Mom has an '04 Ram 2500 with a cummins, and I have a good friend with an '04 2500 silverado with a duramax. My trucks still better. :flipoff2:

In the end I would really rather spend performance money on my trail rig than my tow rig. If I want to race a truck I would have bought a built 1/2 ton like a lightning or an SRT-10 or one of the new Grand Cherokee SRT-8s :eek: :cool2: .

But still Banks is good stuff, just not a good value IMHO.

Oh and one more :flipoff2:

:p

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
it says nothing about them being the only retailer, they just say that no other company should be selling them on the web. I bet if you called Summit they could get Banks parts for you, they just can't list them on their website.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Supergper said:
it says nothing about them being the only retailer, they just say that no other company should be selling them on the web. I bet if you called Summit they could get Banks parts for you, they just can't list them on their website.

Thats actually pretty common these days. I deal with a bunch of companies that do that. It helps protect the local small retailers and their dealers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyhoo, I ordered the Banks "TorqueTube" Header from 4wd.com for $369 ($392 shipped.) Not too terribly bad of a price, considering.....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Fawk Bank$... I went with the AFE stage II, Hypertech III and I will be adding the Bully Dog 4" Exhaust... Banks stuff is nice, but for the price, I'm not drag racing my truck, its my DD and tow rig

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I bought my truck back in '01. I bought the Stinger Plus(exhust, turbo housing, chip,transcommand) everything but the intercooler. I paid like $2400 for it. I Was all stoked till I got beat by a stock truck with my old Hypertech powerprogramer that I sold for $50. Was I ever pissed. Called Banks and they sent me at the time there biggest chip (powerpak) It was a little better but for the money I got screwed. Their electronics where just not upto par. Now I have a 4 pos. from DieselInnovations and love. I have put about 70k miles on it with probly 90% of that in the 140hp setting. I would never buy another banks pakage agian. Just to much money for what your are getting. The only thing that seems to be cheap is there exhust. You can buy for about $700 for a full system for a Ford Powerstroke.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts