Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice I said garage not shop. After 50 years in their house my FIL is finally claiming one of the bays in the garage for himself. Should we build counter/cabinets from scratch, wait for a good deal on take-outs on CL or buy the home center stuff?

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Notice I said garage not shop. After 50 years in their house my FIL is finally claiming one of the bays in the garage for himself. Should we build counter/cabinets from scratch, wait for a good deal on take-outs on CL or buy the home center stuff?

Ive had kitchen cabinets, and hated them. My .02 for best use of space is to go to Menards or HD and get one of their modular faux pallet rack systems. Keep everything as open as possible.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
I have been watching Craigslist for years looking for take-outs.

The only thing I've found are used cabinets that the sellers still want thousands of dollars for. I don't need cherry, oak, or walnut cabinets in my shop.

If you need workbenches, I'm a BIG fan of going tot he local lumberyard/Home Deopt/Lowes/Menards and buying their workbench kits. They usually run about $100 and the next thing you know, you've got a workbench.

If I need something like that, I need a workbench, not another project.

I also have a few of the "faux pallet rack systems" (great way to describe them BTW!). Menards has better quality than Lowes when it comes to them-from what I've found.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
The habitat for humanity restores lots of times have cabinets that go for cheapish. I like the idea of just plopping down a bunch of cabinets and BOOM, you have a countertop and storage.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
At my old rental we had old (real wood) kitchen cabinets and a solid 2" wood top.

They are great for STORING things.

If you need to access tools, and other items inthe drawers or cabinets often it becomes a game of shuffling.

So depending on their purpose I say build or buy some takeouts on CL. :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have some OLD kitchen cabinets that are all steel as my workbench. I like them a lot, they're very solid. I made the top out of plywood covered with galvanized steel. It's not as sturdy as a solid-steel-top fab table, but it's done the job for me for about 8 years now.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm building a shelving system out of wood most likely. 2x4s are cheap.

My dad is a cabinet maker, insists on having cabinets in the garage/shop.

He likes how you can close the doors and it looks clean.

I hate how they get filled with crap that barely fits, then the doors get closed.. then more crap gets piled infront.

If you insist, I vote re-store.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
If they are just cabinets I wouldn't even put out the effort to haul them home but if they are lower cabinets with drawers, I'd probably jump on them. Drawers are always nice to have but kitchen cabinets suck balls for most stuff you need to store in them in the shop.

I scored some nice heavy duty high school chemistry lab cabinets a couple years ago. I used one for an end support on the work bench top and then a piece of 4" pipe for a post leg on the other end. The bench top was made from a steel exterior door that I snagged from the same project. I cut the door to the counter depth I wanted and trimmed it the outside edge with 2"x2"x1/4" angle. It's not much good for hammering on but it's a good bench that I use as a desk most of the time.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I looked for cheap cabinets recently for my garage and couldn't find anything I liked or wanted to spend money on. I decided that large file cabinets might work if I put some time into them to make them look a little better. I found this Steelcase file cabinet on CL for $30 and threw on another $30 in paint to match my tool chests. I also added casters for garage mobility.
So far I'm liking them. Pretty cheap and the drawers are meant to carry a lot of weight.
Started out looking like this.

Then used Rustoleum safety red for the cabinet, black and silver hammered for the drawers.

I even added a Crapsman logo I had from an old cabinet.:laughing:

OP, for your needs you could get some of the two drawer units and put a heavy counter on top.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
I looked for cheap cabinets recently for my garage and couldn't find anything I liked or wanted to spend money on. I decided that large file cabinets might work if I put some time into them to make them look a little better. I found this Steelcase file cabinet on CL for $30 and threw on another $30 in paint to match my tool chests. I also added casters for garage mobility.
So far I'm liking them. Pretty cheap and the drawers are meant to carry a lot of weight.

I even added a Crapsman logo I had from an old cabinet.:laughing:

OP, for your needs you could get some of the two drawer units and put a heavy counter on top.

Ill 2nd, 3rd and 4th the lateral file cabinet. I think I have 4 of those 5 drawer and wish I had more. Some 5 drawers have a shelf rather than a drawer at teh top which I find a lot more useful. I have a 2 drawer on pneumatic wheels I sometimes use at work as a shop cart. Be patient and do a broad search in the entire for sale section for file cabinet or filecabinet and you can find them pretty cheap. They are built like tanks and the drawers can handle just about anything you can fit in them.

Thats an awesome job you did on repainting yours:beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts