Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't see the garage doors from the house very well. There has been several nights where a door was left open by accident. Since I live in town I'm concerned about theft.

I have conduit running from the garage into the crawlspace of the house. I thought I could run some wires and put switches in the house. Seems pretty straight forward. Any reason I couldn't put a couple additional limit switches on the doors connected to indicator lamps in the house?

Jerry

·
Registered
298 Posts
I see no reason why not. Maybe wire it up so the light is on when the door is open. Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah mount a switch at the top or bottom of the track with a some rigged up bracket on the Door section to trigger it. Air Curtains on dock doors are turned off and on this way.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
This looks interesting...
Craftsman Wireless Garage Door Monitor

Click here

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
there are several garage door autocloser on the market that wire in presuming you have an automatic garage door opener/closer. one has a photo cell so when it gets dark it'll close the door even in the hold open mode but I think the shop lights might defeat that function depending on mounting location. (garage butler IIRC)

I put a Protectrix on my door and it does it's job just have to remember to replace the battery periodically, but it gets a new battery with the thermostat once per year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Craftsman monitor seems like it might do the trick. At least, it would be the easiest to install. How does it work on multiple doors?

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Set of magnetic switches for something like a security system. Some low-voltage wire and some sort of indicator panel (light bulb, LED panel, simple "old school" security system display).

Put the magnetic switch in some position so the circuit is open when the door is shut (light off), then closes (light on) when the door is in any position other than fully closed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a 4 story house and I have on more then on occassion forgotten if I closed the door and had to go down to check. Its a pain at 2 am. I also live in a "transitional" (aka bad) neighborhood. If I leave my garage door open stuff is going to grow legs. I mounted magnetic proximity switches on both of my garage doors. The magnet is glued to the door and the sensor is glued to the track. The switches are wireless and tied into the houses alarm system. There is an alarm panel on each floor so any where in the house I can see if the garage door is open or not. I can even check on the internet. One of my projects it to mount a z-wave relay board in the alarm. I'm pretty sure with a little tinkering I will be able to remotely control the door.

Home Security Store - 5820L - Honeywell Ademco Slim Line Wireless Door/Window Transmitter

5898 | Honeywell Wireless K-Band Dual Tech Motion Sensor | Home Security Store

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
Set of magnetic switches for something like a security system. Some low-voltage wire and some sort of indicator panel (light bulb, LED panel, simple "old school" security system display).

Put the magnetic switch in some position so the circuit is open when the door is shut (light off), then closes (light on) when the door is in any position other than fully closed.
I've thought about doing the same thing with a battery bank of 2-4 D cell batteries. Wired for 1.5V, and a single red LED, those batteries should last for quite a while. This thread has the gears turning again.

I was thinking about putting the single red LED inside one of my existing can ceiling lights in the kitchen. Since the lights are off in the kitchen when I am shutting down for the night, the red LED should make the can and existing bulb glow red as an indictor, but wont be obnoxious during the day if I have the garage open during the day and/or people are in the kitchen.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I've thought about doing the same thing with a battery bank of 2-4 D cell batteries. Wired for 1.5V, and a single red LED, those batteries should last for quite a while. This thread has the gears turning again.
Or just cut up a phone charger, everyone throws them away.
Then it can be wired to wall current and forgotten about.

LED calculator for single LEDs
There's a calc for current limiting resistors for LEDs. Well, it works for limiting current to anything...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Also you can put a harbor fright wireless motion detector doorbell thing in there so if someone goes In, it will charm in your house.

I have one in my garage in case I forget and leave it open, I know if someone comes in.

I also use it if I'm worried something will get stolen out the bed of my truck imu front yard like axles or transmission.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I have a 4 story house and I have on more then on occassion forgotten if I closed the door and had to go down to check. Its a pain at 2 am. I also live in a "transitional" (aka bad) neighborhood. If I leave my garage door open stuff is going to grow legs. I mounted magnetic proximity switches on both of my garage doors. The magnet is glued to the door and the sensor is glued to the track. The switches are wireless and tied into the houses alarm system. There is an alarm panel on each floor so any where in the house I can see if the garage door is open or not. I can even check on the internet. One of my projects it to mount a z-wave relay board in the alarm. I'm pretty sure with a little tinkering I will be able to remotely control the door.

Home Security Store - 5820L - Honeywell Ademco Slim Line Wireless Door/Window Transmitter

5898 | Honeywell Wireless K-Band Dual Tech Motion Sensor | Home Security Store
If you do `tinker` and set that up be sure to do a write up about it :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I was going to mention that they already make door monitors. We use thermostat wire when we wire up the low voltage stuff to openers. Those wireless proximity sensors are pretty nice and work well. See them in the hood all the time and stupid easy to set up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts