Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of things can I do to my 2000 ranger to get better mileage? I have heard different things as far as how to drive it (high rpm, low rpm, etc) to better the mileage use. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
701 Posts
buy a focus :flipoff2:

or rip out all the ifs and put a solid axle in it :D wont get you any better gas milage but youll be able to go places with it ;)

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Actually you're wrong Alx. Just by swapping to a solid axle, I picked up 3 MPG :rolleyes: . Less drag I guess :flipoff2:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nobody said:
Actually you're wrong Alx. Just by swapping to a solid axle, I picked up 3 MPG :rolleyes: . Less drag I guess :flipoff2:
no no no i think your milage was picked up by a V8 swap :flipoff2:
see so there ya go a combo of 5.0 swap with a sas gets you
3 mpg better than stock :flipoff2:

oh and :flipoff2: incase there aren't enough :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, i hate to ask this because it's gonna make me look really stupid, but I haven't been into 4 wheeling very long and don't know all of the abbreviations . . . such as "ifs". What's that?

·
Registered
563 Posts
That would be "independant front suspension". The PBB definition would be that it is :rainbow: :flipoff2:

my ranger is a 94 with a 4.0. With 35's and 4:88's I get about 295 miles to a tank of gas, I have a 19 gallon tank. But, thats not really good info, because my speedo is 5 mph fast, so who really knows.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My boyfriend doesn't want to do anything major to it because more than likely it will be gone in about a year or so.
Is the front suspension really the only thing that would make any difference to my mileage?
What about how you drive it part? Not necessarily romping on it and driving it hard all the time, but hig/low rpms . . .

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
do the cheap stuff like K&N or an intake give you extra HP but help out with the gas mileage but you won't get more than 20-24 ish. if it's got the slushbox then less than that by a couple of miles the rear gears may help out if lots of city driving Ford put gears as high as 3.08 in those trucks they have to torque to pull it but the accelleration gas mileage sucks but the highway cruising speed/mil is the trade off since the o/d isn't very talll

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I put a d44/9" and 4.88s in my 98 ranger and it definately gave me at least 7MPG, and its all bolt on. Just check JC Witney.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thankd for all of the info. . . but now i have to see if this truck is even worth keeping! The last tank (I only put $15 bucks in and it gave me 8.431 gallons) gave me 124 miles!! So now I am down to 14 mpg!! just lovely isn't it??:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,592 Posts
Put the tailgate down. Seriously, it'll help, especially on the highway. Also keep the rpms low, but not too low, and try to be more relaxed driving. Constantly accelrating and slowing down will kill the milage, as will going too fast. The difference between 65 and 80 is something like a 150% drag increse, and will result in consequent milage reduction.
~John

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put the tailgate down and it seemed to help. We'll see if it stays consistant because I had 18 mpg and then 14mpg and then i had a 19 mpg this last one when I did put the tailgate down. I'm going to keep it down and see if that's what's giving me some more miles until I can do something drastic to the stupid truck. Thanks for the tips!! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am going to get flamed for this big time, but IFS is not as bad for the light to moderate wheeler as is suggested around here. I buckled and am going SAS but that is because of how I like to wheel and I enjoy a technical project. But for the easier trails and some rocks IFS can still provide an interesting chalenge. The major downfall I had was the lack of flex on the larger rocks and the $$$$ in repairs running larger tires and beating on a weak dana 35 IFS desined for 29" tires. I guess all I am saying is there is a lot of fun to be had with IFS. And I was always surprising people with the IFS. for info on fuel mileage improvements search around www.rangerstation.com and www.explorer4x4.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but this isn't really for wheeling, this is my daily driver truck. . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts