Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the gas gauge in my 85 chevy is not working it always reads empty. I think it is a power wire but if I take the fuse out and put it back in the gauge will move and work for a few sec.:confused: :confused: help!!!!!!

Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
377 Posts
i had a problem simular to that. i just replaced the sending unit and its worked ever since

·
Administrator
63,765 Posts
If it works when you wiggle the fuse at it's connector then you probably have a bad connection there. Pull the fuse block and check the pins at that fuse. They may be loose or corroded. It's most likely a simple fix.

If that doesn't solve your problem, unhook the fuel gauge sending unit from it's wire harness at the tank. Verify proper voltages with a DMM. If the power wire checks out OK another wire or the sending unit itself may be at fault. If the other wires check out OK pull the sending unit and bench test it. The FSM for your truck should give you all the necessary specs you need.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Roxywheels said:
If it works when you wiggle the fuse at it's connector then you probably have a bad connection there. Pull the fuse block and check the pins at that fuse. They may be loose or corroded. It's most likely a simple fix.

If that doesn't solve your problem, unhook the fuel gauge sending unit from it's wire harness at the tank. Verify proper voltages with a DMM. If the power wire checks out OK another wire or the sending unit itself may be at fault. If the other wires check out OK pull the sending unit and bench test it. The FSM for your truck should give you all the necessary specs you need.

just a guess here, but someone forgot to log roxy out before posting??

·
Administrator
63,765 Posts
DSI said:

just a guess here, but someone forgot to log roxy out before posting??
Nope...I'm just that smart and have been holding out on you guys all this time! :flipoff2: :roxy:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the same problem with my 86 blazer,it was a poor ground .the wire was by the tank though but if i wiggled the wires it would work.good luck

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Pull the wire off of the sending unit that goes to the gauge and ground it. If the needle moves, it's the sending unit. If not, it's the gauge.

·
Registered
783 Posts
my jeeps doing the same thing, it sucks not knowing how much gas you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts