Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 79 toy with a 20r and the four speed running 36's and 5.29 gears. i just found out that i am getting 10 mpg:eek:
What are you guys getting and any suugesttion to improve it. I am thinking about getting a header for it but i live in cali so smog kinda sticks me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
'82 Longbed, 22R, 32/36 Weber, "free flow" exhaust, 4.37's and 32x10.5 TSL/Radials:

City- 10-14
Hwy- 14-18

·
Registered
51 Posts
22re, just made 190 mile trip, 19mpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
perhaps a major tune-up?? carb rebuild?? start from scratch and check everything u can think of. :confused: :confused: :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
22r 4.10s and 31" mtrs 12-14

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
My last truck which was stock w/ 31"s got 25 mpg on a long trip.
At least I know who buys my stolen truck/engine after its been scrapped out will get good gas milage!!! :flipoff:

Tires make a huge ass difference- you have to calculate how much further you're really going... odometers are no longer accurate with larger tires, unless the speedo gears are changed (Does anyone really do that? :flipoff2:) Cause the rolling diameter of a tire is larger, but it doesnt know that.

Am I the only one thinking of that?

Dave

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
5,000 lbs with 4.88's and 35" tires

7-10 in town
10-12 highway

until a few days ago.

I found a HUGE crack in the intake between the tubo and the AFM

Just bumped it up to about 15 on the highway, but I am a heavy pig.

·
Registered
398 Posts
22re headers, 2 1/4" exhaust, stock gears, 32x11.5 - 16-19 mpg

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
JJeep74 said:
ive got a 79 toy with a 20r and the four speed running 36's and 5.29 gears. i just found out that i am getting 10 mpg:eek:
What are you guys getting and any suugesttion to improve it. I am thinking about getting a header for it but i live in cali so smog kinda sticks me.
You are pushing a box down the road that has Shaq size shoes and the horse power of a Poodle, you are going to get crappy GM. There are smog legal headers, Downey for one. But I doubt that it will help the GM that much. Do a good tune up, make sure the Carb and Exhaust and Cat are in good shape. Up the air pressure in the tire. Quit mashing the loud pedal to the floor when you are driving may help:D I get 9-10 with my V-6!!!!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
something i have always wondered is how you calculate the change in your tire size to compensate for your gas mileage figures?:confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
say stock tires are 29 inches
and you now run 33s with the same gears.

figure out the difference between the 2 sizes (actual OD of the tire is better than just the number)

in this case thats 4 inches

then figure out what percentage of the original number the difference is..

to do that.. divide the difference by the original tire size (4/29 in this case) and that gives you the percentage of error. (13.7% in this case)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Damn! That is a lot of gas dumping into 4 itty bitty cylinders. I'm running a hybrid motor that gets 16 mpg on average with same set up as you. 36" TSL's/5.29's. Might want to rebuild your carb, check timing, etc. 10 mpg sounds a little ridiculous with your set up

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Re: Re: gas mileage

OOP'S said:
You are pushing a box down the road that has Shaq size shoes and the horse power of a Poodle, you are going to get crappy GM. There are smog legal headers, Downey for one. But I doubt that it will help the GM that much. Do a good tune up, make sure the Carb and Exhaust and Cat are in good shape. Up the air pressure in the tire. Quit mashing the loud pedal to the floor when you are driving may help:D I get 9-10 with my V-6!!!!
what he said.

i have found that running the max tire presure gets me the best GM, but as everyone knows it bounces the brain out of your head. also the type of tire. maybe get a set of street tires. it will cost more in the beginning to have 2 sets of tires, but will save you in the long run.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I get about 16 combined freeway and around town in my 86 standard PU. I have corrected my odomter with a ratio adaptor, it's right on the money. I have 31 inch tires running at about 22psi, 4.88 gears, LC header, exhaust and cam, Weber 32/36 with K&N, Crane Ignition. I think if I run trips on the freeway it's 19 mpg. The best way to improve your gas mileage is probably to go fuel injection, the other stuff is small improvements but adds up.

http://www.4lo.com/calc.htm

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Calculated off of my buddys GMC for the # of miles driven...
I get between 12-14 highway with my 85 4 runner on 35" x-terrains.. or 3/4 of a tank to go to hollister, wheel all day, and drive home.

Just for comparison, my 96 ram on 33" with a 318 gets 15 @ 45 mph, 12.5 @ 65mph, and 10.5 @90mph

UPDATE: Replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, and got a new o2 sensor. MPG on my 4runner is up to around 16-20 mpg. I now use alittle under a 1/2 tank to go to do what used to take over 3/4 tank (13 gallon tank).

·
Registered
342 Posts
83 toy longbed, 4.10 gears, 31" bfg m/t, 22r- about 22-23 mpg highway, 18-19 mpg city... a good tune up and a fresh set of rings goes a long way sometimes... also stay off the skinny pedal... 10 mpg is stupid low with your setup

1 - 20 of 60 Posts