Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is gas good for in a 50gal drum? A friend who seems to know a few things told me it won’t go bad if it’s not opened that it’s a myth it will go bad closed. Is that correct? I have a few drums I used for KOH gas , one for tractor diesel and spare rv fuel... but I never tried leaving gas in one long. I need to refill my barn diesel drum, I’ll fill both gas drums if it will last. But if one will go bad before I burn it all up in sxs’s then I won’t waste my time. I guess I use about 25 gallons of gas every month or more riding sxs.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have some Alaskan buddies that bury gas in the snow in drums for 2 or 3 years before they dig it out and use it.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Todays fuel goes "bad" faster due to moisture absorption.

Sealed up in metal containers, it should keep for a good bit.

I only use Eagle metal cans that provide a 100% seal, and regularly store 80+ gallons of gasoline for various reasons, for up to a year or more. Never had an issue.

Same fuel in plastic and/or vented cans? Doesnt seem to last more than a few months.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Todays fuel goes "bad" faster due to moisture absorption.

Sealed up in metal containers, it should keep for a good bit.

I only use Eagle metal cans that provide a 100% seal, and regularly store 80+ gallons of gasoline for various reasons, for up to a year or more. Never had an issue.

Same fuel in plastic and/or vented cans? Doesnt seem to last more than a few months.
How do those metal cans account for expansion?
Do you open it and use all 80 gallons at once or seal it back up?

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
gas is more or less just volatile hydrocarbons
keep it sealed and it'll remain unchanged forever

I use old 100lb propane tanks that the base ring rusted out on, so I'd rather not trust them to propane pressures
just take the valve off and dump it in, then screw the valve back in to seal (with safety relief valve)

got one valve with a diptube to get it back out of them with, air compressor to pressurize and they squirt pretty good

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[486 said:
;44902312]gas is more or less just volatile hydrocarbons

I use old 100lb propane tanks that the base ring rusted out on, so I'd rather not trust them to propane pressures
just take the valve off and dump it in, then screw the valve back in to seal (with safety relief valve)

got one valve with a diptube to get it back out of them with, air compressor to pressurize and they squirt pretty good
Pic of compression set up?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've had 5 gallon scepter fuel cans that I've forgotten were full of fuel for months. Open them and the gas smells fresh and works fine. Totally sealed plastic type jerry cans.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
gas is more or less just volatile hydrocarbons

this...i have been making fuel for my pos truck for years and had to learn a little more on the diy side vs commercial production.

stabil for the most part is snake oil for many situations....but goes a ways towards keeping certain varnish situations down.

if you have a large container that is vented...say a 55 gal drum to 1000 gallon tank or whatever....its tough to keep water out. some call this wet storage.
what you want to do is polish the fuel with pump and filters periodically for long term storage if its wet. just a good 10 micron sediment and secondary waterbloc will suffice. a gpi or fillrite pump makes it cake. not cheap but worth it.

if you have it stored in a stabil(pun intended) environment..ie not outside in the sun and weather and with a vapor type flapper vent/check, it will last for years. you just need to thoroughly stir and filter it before use for best results if its been sitting more then a year.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
You guys that have the means to store it are lucky to be able to start hoarding right now while the price is so low. Wish I had anything remotely legit to store gas in myself.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
You guys that have the means to store it are lucky to be able to start hoarding right now while the price is so low. Wish I had anything remotely legit to store gas in myself.
why?

a dollar a gallon ain't shit compared to spoilage (evaporation and spills), equipment and labor
just be glad you got a gas station 10 minutes away

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
How do those metal cans account for expansion?
Do you open it and use all 80 gallons at once or seal it back up?
I've never had an expansion problem, though they will spit fuel a bit when opening in the summer months. Cans are stored in a shop that isn't heated much, but does not freeze. Summer months it can get 90 degrees

I don't top them off though. They have a metal screen in the filler neck, I just fill untill the bottom of the screen is submerged, then stop.

The jugs I have are 5 gallon jugs, so typically when I use a jug I use most if not all of it. And never pull from more than one jug at a time, until one runs dry.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have some Alaskan buddies that bury gas in the snow in drums for 2 or 3 years before they dig it out and use it.
Alaska is very seasonal, with many of the smaller towns and villages receiving gasoline by barge a couple times a year at most - as such, they do not have ethanol added to their gasoline and it can be stored for years. Can't speak for Anchorage or other big cities up there, but no ethanol everywhere I've been up there...

Ethanol is what kills the shelf life - there is a ton of info if you google it, and I believe you can order test kits to check the octane and see if it's degrading or not:homer:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I cranked and drove home my first car being a 57 Chevrolet 4 door after it was up on blocks for at least 15 years prior with the original gas that was in the tank. After rebuilding my first carb. This was before ethanol.

Now days after 6 months of storage it goes in the lawn mower.

·
Registered
66,767 Posts
I cranked and drove home my first car being a 57 Chevrolet 4 door after it was up on blocks for at least 15 years prior with the original gas that was in the tank. After rebuilding my first carb. This was before ethanol.

Now days after 6 months of storage it goes in the lawn mower.

California gas its 30 days, and no way in fuckin hell am i putting it in the lawnmower. Rebuilding carbs smaller than an avocado just ain't my favorite thing to do anymore.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I was concerned about my diesel growing algae, so I purchased a biocide called Killem, which also works in gasoline to prevent slime and microbial growth.

For storing unleaded, forget about ethanol-based fuel. Get the real deal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts