Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldnt reply to Dust Puppy's thread for some reason, so here is his question and mine:

Gas tank/ Fuel cell options for a TJ?
ok here's the deal. ive been running the stock tank with a kilby skid under it, but i really need to move my axle back to correct some angles of the driveshaft. I have thought about cutting out the floor and moving up the tank but i use ALL of that space for gear when i go camping and wheel'n and such, plus i still like to be able to throw the back seat in when i have passengers. like the trip this weekend for instance and for the beach trips this summer.

are there any fuel cells or tanks that i could some how make fit better in the jeep? I can move the floor up about an inch but thats going to be about the limit i think. I would like to move the 14 bolt back atleast a couple inches but i cant with the tank there. i cant rotate the pinoin any more because of interferance with the axle upper mounts.

any suggestions? im running a 20 gallon tank and i drive this thing pretty much daily.

come awn gas tank guru's gimme a hand

DustPuppy - I know exactly what you mean. Im looking to do the same thing so i can stretch my rear wheelbase at the same time that i swap in the 14 bolt. My idea is to take a design very similar to this:

http://www.spydercustoms.com/buggies/Imgd0017.jpg

and put it between the frame rails and up against the tub. i dont know how the tub of the tj contours, but on my yj there is a vertical rise in the floor right in front of the rear seat and im thinking a fuel cell with this shape could fit nicely in there....thats SOA with 2" springs(no body lift). anyone think it would work? anyone think it could work with a 20 gallon cell? :D let me know if you come up with any good ideas DP...

- Jake

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know either Summit or Jeg's has a cell that will fit behind the back seat-long and skinny. I believe it was 20 gallons, also. Been too long to remember exactly. I bit the bullet and just moved the stocker up where the backseat went. Fucking stinks if you spill a little bit, but my 20 gallon tank was down to 12 gallons. It is amazing how few passengers have needed that seat.
You could also take out the fold up seats in the front and put in Willy's style tanks.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All Pro makes an aluminum cell that fits behind the seat 1/2 in 1/2 out. Not to good for weight distribution, but good for running a fuel cell and keeping some sort of cargo area.
Im gonna be ordering it soon.
heres the link:
http://www.allprooffroad.com/jeep.html

I believe Campbell Ent. makes custom makes them as well.
http://www.campbellent.com/

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe Currie makes one that will go between the frame rails and sits flush with the bottom of the rails. I think it's 16 gal. and cost around $1600.

·
Registered
252 Posts
check out currie products, they make a couple tanks for TJ's that fit in different places, but they cost big bucks!!!! lots of cashish needed!!! later, riggs

if it's your daily driver i'd try to keep the tank outta the back of your jeep.....if you were ever unlucky enough to get hit from behind you could end up in a serious bind if that tank gets damaged back there.....you know???

i like the idea of putting in between the rails though. i know currie makes a low profile tank that bolts in the stock position, but i'm not sure if it would clear enough for a 14 bolt????? i know someone that put one in his TJ, but he only runs currie 9" axles......i'll see if i can get some measurements from him......but.......that tank he bought was over $2000.....so.......i'm not sure if that's a good way to go!!!

one last idea, find an airport that builds aircraft, a local shop that does custom work to airplanes, sometimes you can get a fab guy from those shops to weld up a custom tank pretty cheap. most can be done for around 300 bucks........on the side!!! later, riggs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts