Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldnt reply to Dust Puppy's thread for some reason, so here is his question and mine:

Gas tank/ Fuel cell options for a TJ?
ok here's the deal. ive been running the stock tank with a kilby skid under it, but i really need to move my axle back to correct some angles of the driveshaft. I have thought about cutting out the floor and moving up the tank but i use ALL of that space for gear when i go camping and wheel'n and such, plus i still like to be able to throw the back seat in when i have passengers. like the trip this weekend for instance and for the beach trips this summer.

are there any fuel cells or tanks that i could some how make fit better in the jeep? I can move the floor up about an inch but thats going to be about the limit i think. I would like to move the 14 bolt back atleast a couple inches but i cant with the tank there. i cant rotate the pinoin any more because of interferance with the axle upper mounts.

any suggestions? im running a 20 gallon tank and i drive this thing pretty much daily.

come awn gas tank guru's gimme a hand

DustPuppy - I know exactly what you mean. Im looking to do the same thing so i can stretch my rear wheelbase at the same time that i swap in the 14 bolt. My idea is to take a design very similar to this:

http://www.spydercustoms.com/buggies/Imgd0017.jpg

and put it between the frame rails and up against the tub. i dont know how the tub of the tj contours, but on my yj there is a vertical rise in the floor right in front of the rear seat and im thinking a fuel cell with this shape could fit nicely in there....thats SOA with 2" springs(no body lift). anyone think it would work? anyone think it could work with a 20 gallon cell? let me know if you come up with any good ideas DP...

- Jake

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
yeah i would like to do this without cutting up my floor. just for the simple reason that i do have passengers from time to time.

and all the storage room ill loose. i have enough trouble as it is packing that thing for wheel'n trips.

DP

·
Registered
207 Posts
BEAST40

Hey Beast40.
You got any more pics of your setup for that gas tank???? That's the same thing I was planning on doing to mine this month when I do axle swap. Did you run into problems with angle on the filler neck and vent stuff?
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Dust Puppy said:
yeah i would like to do this without cutting up my floor. just for the simple reason that i do have passengers from time to time.

and all the storage room ill loose. i have enough trouble as it is packing that thing for wheel'n trips.

DP
It can be done and stil use a seat, just not with a stock tank ;) See my post......with that cell my rear seat fits perfect.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Everything fits fine. I had to remove the rear seat belt clip but plan to fab something up to put them back in. My tailgate works fine and top works great, only PIS is having to open the tail up to gas up :beer:

*edit* If I could go back I would not have put the filler there, we just didnt really think too hard about it when it was built ;) I would have put it in the corner so I would stack shit on the tank ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: BEAST40

indyTJ said:
Hey Beast40.
You got any more pics of your setup for that gas tank???? That's the same thing I was planning on doing to mine this month when I do axle swap. Did you run into problems with angle on the filler neck and vent stuff?
Thanks.

Still uses the stock fill hole, the line had to be shortened but thats it. One of the reasons it was lifted so high was to clear the trac bar.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bushwhacker said:
Beast,
If you werent running a tracbar, how much would it have stuck up into the bed? I want to do the same thing and with my 2" body lift I'm hoping it wont stick too far into the cab.
Well that depends on if you want to move the axle back and how you position the mounts, but not nearly as far up into the bed as my set-up. Mine had to be raised super high just for trac bar reasons, the same trac bar that I threw in the trash 2 months later when I trianguled my uppers. :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
well you guys who are wanting the same thing as all of us daily drivers...

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS....:rolleyes:

which is really hard to get. a good buddy of mine is designing a molded gas tank that will use the factory mounts and all but just be stretched out and contoured under the tub,so there will be clearance to stretch the piss outta it.i will be getting one of them soon and will post pics..

it wont be ahile till i slap it in though saving up for coilovers so i can do it all at once ...hahahahah

who am i kidding im still fawking with the 1 tons...well im about 1500$ away from them under my tj-7....

email me if any of you want more info....

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
im REALLY interested. let me know if you need another guinie pig

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.