Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 81 Chevy has dual tanks. The problem is that the excess/unused fuel from both tanks feeds back into the right side. So much so that if I fill the left tank and run up the mountain (20 miles or so) by the time I get home the left tank is down to about half and the right tank is full. If I forget and don't switch to the right and keep it pretty much empty then I'm dumping gas on the ground. Is their any way to fix this so they each feed back into them selves? Also seems to me to be alot of fuel feeding back in such a short period of time. Any help is appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your fuel solinoid has gone bad.
The valve not only switches where the fuel comes from , but also which tank the fuel returns to.
Replace the valve and you'll be in good shape ( 6 port valve )

·
Registered
499 Posts
dual gas tanks

my 79 also has the dual tanks, with fillers on either side of the truck, the worst idea the chevy ever came up with. when i discovered that one of my tanks was rusting from the inside out, i just bypassed the soleniod altogether and only ran the one good tank. right now i am building a new gas tank that will go between the frame rails under the bed. hopefully i will have some pics posted before long. i think the best feature that the new tank will have, if i ever get it done, is being able to fill it up from either side. right now i am taking the worst idea that gm ever had and making it better.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Why does an '81 Chevy have a fuel return line? Is the truck stock? I didn't think they used return lines on carb'd trucks? :confused: I could be wrong, though.

Pete

·
Registered
44 Posts
all you do is by pass the one tank with a little

male male end copper peice. youll need two hose clamps as well

do this after you buy a fuel tank selector valve

the tank selecteor valve when it has no power returns to its default..... the right tank..

·
Registered
499 Posts
my gas tanks have a smaller tube in addition to the fuel line running from each tank to the solenoid and from the solenoid to the fuel pump. this smaller tube was a vapor recovery thingy majig i beleive. it was one of the archaic smog requirements, along with charcoal boxes, egr, and the butterfly valve in the exhaust. !SWEET!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts