Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 85 with a stock 22r . But I'm going to a 22re . Can I use my gas tank and just put in the 22re fuel pump in my gas tank ? Or do I have to switch out the whole tank . Ok you can start with the I'm a dumass replys now . :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I found that a 22re tank from a '87 wouldn't fit in my '81, it was about 4-6" too long. I used an external pump.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
No, the holes are totally different. An EFI pump wont go into the tank. You could modify the tank for a return line and run a frame rail pump, but I think it is much easier to just put the EFI tank in.
One note on frame rail pumps. People seem to think that you need a stock or Celica fuel pump. This is not true. Any auto parts store generic EFI pump will work. the fuel pressure is controled by the regulator on the engine, and excess fuel is returned to the tank. Most all Fuel injection pumps provide plenty of volume for the 22RE. You would need some MONDO super race pump to over fuel the engine. For an example, Ford uses the same pump for Its v-8s all the way down to its 4 cyls. The only difference is on the mounts and senders.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Find a frame rail pump and run it in line... your 85 already has a return line from the carb... just remember to use high pressure rated hose and screw type hose clamps... the stock clamps won't cut it.

FYI: There are a few different pumps used in the fords... they all look the same, but the flow rates vary based on horsepower... for instance, a 4cyl ranger has a pump which flows less than an 8cyl HO mustang. Also Ford TBI pumps flow less than SEFI ones.

You can get a High flow electric pump off e-bay fairly cheap. most of these are in-tank types... but some are in-line type.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=mustang+fuel+pump

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
CWToyota said:

FYI: for instance, a 4cyl ranger has a pump which flows less than an 8cyl HO mustang. Also Ford TBI pumps flow less than SEFI ones.
4cyl. and V-8 HO Mustangs take the exact same pump motor
except that the V8 has a 3/8" outlet and the 4 cyl. & V6 have 5/16" outlets.
I have seen a 5.O H.O. 4 runner built by another Ford driveabilty Master Tech. like myself run great with no fuel pressure or volume problems on a stock 22RE fuel pump. It runs 13s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts