Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its time to build a new Tow/plow rig, and I will be pulling a trailer with about a weight of 9-10k (that includes the weight of the trailer). It will be a Dodge, and I dont care what year. If I go gas, (440, with a est 425hp/500ft lbs) which I already have, I only get 5-8mpg (last w350 with 4.10s/34 inch tires) How have the 518/47RH TRANNYS HELD UP? Im debating keeping the gas , but going over to the Overdrive and wondering if that will really improve mileage that much more, vs the cost of building the new box and seeing if it will hold up to the 440. My alternative is to get a 89-about 97 truck with a Cummins (thats my budget) I know these guys are brutes when bombed, but if I can at least score 12-14mpg with one towing a load like mine, with somewhat reasonable performance, Id be happy. I generally tow the east coast, NC/SC/ WV from NY up some long hard grades. I will be honest I dont really tow faster than 65 mph, so what do you fellas think? would a stock Cummins be ok, or are these things dogs when left stock to tow a 10k load with. The reason I was thinking about the diesel is the awesome mileage that I always hear about, I know when modded they are sinister, but it seems that when you start adding the cost of bombing plus the trans mods, your looking at a big bill. I be quite honest I have about 10k to work with, so a nice new 05 is not even a dream. Thanks for any and all replies

·
Registered
379 Posts
Take the awesome mileage with a grain of salt. Yes the CTD gets good mileage for the power output but dont except 20 mpg with 10K behind you, reasonable would be 12-14 mpg depending on some factors. Go over to TDR and read up on the 12V forum. Find a later model 12V with NV4500 if you want the bombproof or buy cheap and invest in the tranny later. Good luck you will something that works, I figure start looking now and you could have something by the fall that will fit the bill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts