Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend has a 2011 Chevy traverse with roughly 80k miles on it and no CEL. It started making a bad knocking sound on cold starts. Dealer wants to charge her $1k to pull the engine and try to diagnose it. Her warranty may or may not cover it from there.

She's a few hours away and the car is still at the dealership. Thought I'd ask here before she pulls the trigger on having them tear it down.

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Here's a video of the sound it's making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQx2415G9hU&feature=youtu.be

·
4X4 HACK
2,980 Posts
Do you have a longer video? It knocks like that for a few minutes or what? lifters or it's either a cam phaser or worn timing chain/chain tensioner

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do you have a longer video? It knocks like that for a few minutes or what? lifters or it's either a cam phaser or worn timing chain/chain tensioner
id have to agree. As for the evap purge valve, I've never heard one make anywhere near that noise, and the loudest purge valves I have heard were with the hose off of them.

Some cars require a special oil filter with an anti drain back valve in them. If your friend uses jiffy lube or the like and they use cheap filters, they can make some noise.

·
Registered
516 Posts
We're gonna need Oil change history please, do you check the level at every refueling?

And pics of the lady friend.

At 80k that pos is ready for trade in anyway, so it can end up at one of those auction houses with the top bid at $300.00 plus fees. Some halfway legit immigrant will buy it slap a junk yard engine in it, maybe change the oil at least top it off. and export it.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It's done. Get rid of it or chance the warranty covering it. What kind of warranty does she have? Most extended warranties only cover so much, usually up to 4000-5000. They will usually also require oil change receipts, usually at stupid intervals like every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id have to agree. As for the evap purge valve, I've never heard one make anywhere near that noise, and the loudest purge valves I have heard were with the hose off of them.

Some cars require a special oil filter with an anti drain back valve in them. If your friend uses jiffy lube or the like and they use cheap filters, they can make some noise.
No Longer video but it knocks for about 10-30 sec then goes away. Only happens on cold starts.

Didn't know that about the oil filters. Can they make that much racket?

That thing sounds like my skidsteer when it starts :laughing:

A little googling has info and lots of other videos of this happening.
Found the same but most of the ones I found are from the 2.4L engines which GM put out a recall for.

We're gonna need Oil change history please, do you check the level at every refueling?

And pics of the lady friend.

At 80k that pos is ready for trade in anyway, so it can end up at one of those auction houses with the top bid at $300.00 plus fees. Some halfway legit immigrant will buy it slap a junk yard engine in it, maybe change the oil at least top it off. and export it.
She went by the lie-o-meter on the dash so every 8k-12k miles between oil changes (her guess, not mine).

No pics of lady friend, she's married with a gaggle of kids.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She bought the suv/van thing from a mini dealership earlier this year. It's at a GM dealership now. I'm not exactly sure what warranty she has or if Mini sold her a POS and is now offering to cover it.

But the plan as of right now is, GM will pull the motor and inspect it for internal damage. Which, I believe should cover the cam phasers and timing chain. If nothing is wrong then she will have to pay the $1k to put it back together. If they find damage to any internal parts of the engine, the warranty or Mini will cover it.

I sent the part number for the evap purge valve to her husband and told him to replace that before doing anything. $40 is cheap insurance for the stupid tax.:laughing:

·
4X4 HACK
2,980 Posts
EVAP dose not purge the first 30 seconds of cold start up. Best bet is a Good engine flush. But since they seem gung ho on yanking the engine let um. They are one there in real life

·
Registered
516 Posts
Funny how this thread is totally different from the other one with the Cadillac pos. :laughing:

Same shitty 3.6 llt engine I believe.

Another reason to dump it, the gm geniuses enginerded the trans with a non serviceable filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts