Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, im trying to gear the 44's and im running into a big issue that I cant figure out. Here are the current settings

Inner Pinion Shims: .045
Outer Pinion Shims: .076
Ring Gear Side Shims: .024
Non-Ring Gear Side Shims: .049

This is the last setting I have tried. It netted me a 5 BL and the pinion is tight and further away then it needs to be. The Drive side of the gear is on the toe end and high. The Coast side of the gear is on the Heel side and center. I cannot figure out how to make the contact pattern in the center on both sides. Every setting its either one side is centered and the other is high (always the drive side). I started off with the Inner Pinion Shims at .030 and i've been working my way up.

Another issue is I dont have a inch pound torque wrench to check pinion bearing pre-load and I dont know if this is the cause of my problems. It shouldnt be as it is only for how tightly the bearings are pressed into their races.

I honestly need help guys, I feel like im in over my head. The past few times ive helped or done my gears other people that know what they are doing top to bottom have been around. Im on my own and I dont know anybody close to me that knows how to do gears. Ive been plugging away at this since 10am Saturday. I just want to know what im doing wrong.

If someone knows how to do gears and wants to help I will throw them some cash.

I've been using the Billa Vista "manual" as a walk through and I dont know where I went wrong?

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would using a punch to seat the pinion bearing cause the uneven ring gear reading? One side being high, one side being low? Any thoughts?

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys, heres an edited pic of what im talking about. The drive side is off the toe end as you can see in this pic. I can get a pic of the coast side as well so that everyone can get a better understanding of what I mean. The coast side looks to me like its a bit low and center/heel. Any thoughts? Sorry for asking 1000 questions but im kinda lost and you guys are tops when it comes to info!

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, am I supposed to be looking for where the dark portion of the gear meshing is to be instead of worrying so much about the top portion? Heres the current trial. This is the coast side

Heres the drive

side

It still looks low to me? I need to be concerned with getting the darkest portion of the meshing in the center of the toe/heel and top/root correct?

RockZJ

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
first off, go beg, borrow or steal a inch pound dial indication torque wrench. The outer pinion shims are for setting pre-load. they have nothing to do with the pattern or BL. Looks like to me the pinion gear is too shallow(torwards the center line of the carrier). So remove some pinion shims to set it deeper. Do adjustments of .005 at a time. You will also need to shim the carrier towards the NRG side. to get BL. Once you get BL in spec, run a pattern check.

Also, Are these used gears or new?

Edit: you are on the right track. stick to your guns. Get with Yukon gear and see if they can send you a set up pamphlet. Another great source is a book called "DIFFERENTIALS; Identification, Restoration & Repair"

It is written my Jim Allen and Randy Lyman. Its packed full of great info to teach the dumb to be experts in Ring and pinions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks man! Ive been plugging away at this. Heres what im at currently

Drive Side

Coast Side

How do these look to you? Im at 9 BL currently. These are new Yukon 4.88's. Everything is new, minus the outer pinion bearing. Needed to use an old one for a setup bearing. If someone would tell me how these look, and what to do to tweak them a bit I would appreciate it

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do these look acceptable? There is a thin strip of yellow at the top of both. The Coast side is a bit off to the heel though and when I bumped the carrier shims down 1 it brought the BL down to 5-6, so from 9-10 to 5-6, does that seem right?

RockZJ

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Do these look acceptable? There is a thin strip of yellow at the top of both. The Coast side is a bit off to the heel though and when I bumped the carrier shims down 1 it brought the BL down to 5-6, so from 9-10 to 5-6, does that seem right?

RockZJ
looks better on drive side. Hard to tell on coast because its out of focus. But .001 change in carrier does make about .002-.003 change in BL on a D44. Im going to say the pinion is still to close. I just looked at my book and it shows a pattern of to close.

Is this a DD or pure trail toy trailer queen?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ran the Coast pattern again and its looking pretty fkn good to me! What does everyone say?

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks better on drive side. Hard to tell on coast because its out of focus. But .001 change in carrier does make about .002-.003 change in BL on a D44. Im going to say the pinion is still to close. I just looked at my book and it shows a pattern of to close.

Is this a DD or pure trail toy trailer queen?
DD, weekend warrior. Your saying still too close? I cant seem to get a better picture, the camera is crap.

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being too close, what should I do? I did try .040, im at .039 IP shims right now and .040 seemed too far away. I can try that setup again if your suggesting I do. Thanks man, I really needed the help!

RockZJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, im going to go for .040 IP shims to space it a bit further away from the top. Doing so should move the coast side towards center and drive side towards toe correct?

RockZJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts