Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so if anyone can help it will be this site.

Back story: I have only done a few dozen axle set-ups so I'm by no means even close to an expert. With that being said I took on a job from a guy that had his 10.5" rear out of a 2008 1500 re-geared 3 times by the same guy and they were destroyed within 500 miles with correct break-in procedure done. It came to me apart so i had no real starting point for pinion depth. I started with .030 and went from there until I got a good pattern centered from flank to face with .006 backlash.

FF to today: It lasted about 1200 miles with same issue. Ran a new pattern and now it is barely touching the drive side toe and way toward the face of the coast side. when i ran the new pattern i noticed that there was resistance at 3/4 revolution of the ring gear. I took off the ring gear, reinstalled the locker, and ran a gauge on the mounting face. it appears to be out .004" in spots as I rotate it.

Would this cause the gears to wear this fast? Does any of this make sense. I have pics and video that I can post from my phone if that helps.

THANKS ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Never heard of such. I don't understand. Are you saying the carrier surface is .040" out of round or .040" out left and right? Are you checking the pattern in three locations?

I would say there's something wrong with you setup on the .040" . I just don't see how it could run at all.

I'm about as experienced as you, so not gospel. But I would guess the problem is in the preloads. (Either pinion or carrier) Did either of them appear loose?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Umm, that's .004", not .040". Big differnce. Not saying .004" is nothing, but .040" is incredible.

I would think that should be less than one thou. I have a loose carrier I can check tomorrow. Just thinking out loud, if you had 6 thou BL, it would go to 2 thou every revolution. Sounds like trouble. When you checked back lash, did you check it a few places around? It really should be the same, but I always check it around. (Just like the pattern)

Edit , my comment about it going to 2 thou is not correct. Not sure how much it would effect it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts