Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was messing with the 5.38's last night for my 12 bolt, and I realized that there is no way the center pin is going in after the ring gear is on. WTF?? Is there a special center pin for this bastard?? Or do I set it all up, then removed the ring gear while it's in there (Pain in ass) and slide the pin in, then reinstall the ring gear?? ARGH!!!!!

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Normally in a situation like that what I have seen done is a little bit of light grinding on the ring gear tooth so the center pin will slide in. Im pretty sure that it does very little to decrease the integrity of the ring gear as long as you dont go crazy with the grinder. Im sure that somebody else has heard of this too.

good luck

-j-rOd

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aggro said:
Grind the toe of one tooth on the ring gear until it fits past.
Do you know how hard it was for me to not do that last night before asking around. :D:D:D I had my beer goggles on, and you know something, I should have listened to myself. :laughing:

Thanks guys.

On a side note, Richmond does sell a notched center pin. Summit has it for $39.95 part# RMG-8002691. However I would much rather have 1 tooth ground down a little bit than a notched pin. :D

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Don't know about a 12 bolt, but it impossible to remove or reinstall the cross pin with the ring gear on all the one's I have worked on.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The problem is worse on the high ratio gears as the ring tends to be thicker and closer to center. So yes even with a D44 Lock-rite with 3.73's on a D44 it was still necessary to remove the ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts