Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am setting up my 3rd with 5.29s and i went a little heavy with with the ratchet while tightening the pinion nut and now i have about 20-25 inch punds on it with the crush sleeve...i am going to be installing it in the rear (to correctly break it in) and then move it to the front when i get more money (in a couple of weeks) to install more gears.

my question is...is the 20-25 inch pounds of rotational force good or does it have to be lower?

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
i am setting up my 3rd with 5.29s and i went a little heavy with with the ratchet while tightening the pinion nut and now i have about 20-20 inch punds on it with the crush sleeve...i am going to be installing it in the rear (to correctly break it in) and then move it to the front when i get more money (in a couple of weeks) to install more gears.

my question is...is the 20-25 inch pounds of rotational force good or does it have to be lower?
Little on the high side but guys have done it before with no problems. Just make sure to break the diff in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
get rid of the crush sleeve and get a solid spacer and shim the preload, it is better for offroad and less likely to loosen up on you.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nope, the whole setup is toast. Give it to me:D I think that you will be fine. IMO

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
i am setting up my 3rd with 5.29s and i went a little heavy with with the ratchet while tightening the pinion nut and now i have about 20-25 inch punds on it with the crush sleeve...i am going to be installing it in the rear (to correctly break it in) and then move it to the front when i get more money (in a couple of weeks) to install more gears.

New bearings they will wear in if you are at 20. ehhhh Just don't go bombing down the hwy at 75mph till you get a few hunded miles on it. Might want to break them in with Synthetic.

25 is pretty tight.

Used bearings with over 15...you need to redo it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok...well i re-checked it and it is around 15-20 inch pounds...

and here is the pattern i ended up with
drive side

coast side

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your patterns are too deep ... you need to take out some shims ... maybe about .005".
I am not see it as being too deep but I am not a professional either. Look like it is riding the middle of the teeth.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
You are close but its hard to read the pattern.

Take a rag and hold the pinion TIGHT and put a wrench on a Ring bolt and turn it that way. It makes a better pattern. Make sure you have about 75lbft on the carrier bearings.

When I first did mine I had too little carrier preload and it was giving weird patterns when I was checking.

If you haven't been to this site take some time to look through it. When I did it by the Yukon instructions I never could get a really clear pattern. When I redid it doing it Zuks way I had much better results.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i took it for a test drive tonight and no noises or problems, but there is some sort of rasp sound coming from the tranny and a vibration...it wasnt doing it earlier until i put in new gear oil and it was sitting for a month or so...any one got any ideas?
i think it is the throw out bearing

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok...i still dont know why the tranny is making wierd noises...ill have to deal with that later...i am now having issues with timing it out with propane. i have it set around 10-15 btdc and pulled the plugs and they indicated that it was running to lean (ash apperance). so i regapped them to around .035 and riched the mixer...i hope this will do it.
i was having trouble getting to hw speed 65-70. i had it floored and in fourth gear with the 5.29s i just installed...has any one else had this problem?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts