Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm gettin no feedback on the land cruiser forum, so i'll ask here. What should I expect to pay to get gears and ARBs installed in my cruisers? I've got everthing...gears, lockers, install kits, ect. How much to put them in? Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
I paid $75 per axle for gear setup. locker wouldn't change the price (carrier change, locker, same difference)

for that price, it wasn't worth fawkin with.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If your axle is clean, preped, out of the truck, all the parts are clean and new. Your probaly looking at $150.00 - $200.00 per axle for the set up you described. If you can get it for $75.00 DO IT!!

Also the ARB will most likely add to the cost - it does take additional time to set up an ARB. So if people tell you $100.00 for a gear set up be sure and tell them it will be an ARB, and watch there eyes go $$$$.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Every place I`ve asked for gear setup when I ask about a detroit or an ARB the price doesn't change... So I guess it depends on the place.. also $75 is KILLER!!

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Around here it's $250, ARB adds $$$ but depends on who you talk to. I know of only 4 places in western CT that will even do a R&P. For $75 I'd wonder what the quality of the work is like.

Hef

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I was quoted $200 each to do my 60's, so I bought a 24 pack, and did a little reading, and did them myself, it took a bit of time, but they have a perfect pattern, and are running great.

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
CrazyHorse said:
I was quoted $200 each to do my 60's, so I bought a 24 pack, and did a little reading, and did them myself, it took a bit of time, but they have a perfect pattern, and are running great.
Bingo!:D The investment in tools is minimal (dial indicator w/magnetic stand, micrometer and common tools), the time is the big investment. And its not that hard. Randy's Ring and Pinion has an excellent how to manual with good illustrations on line, it even lists the tools you will need. BTW, for this you can probably get away with one of those harbor freight dial indicators, I have one that cost several hundred dollars, but I used to use it in my job. And you will need access to a press.:D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
CrazyHorse said:

That's actually how I got my last axle set up - a 24 pack and a trip to a friends house who has the tools and a press. 1.5 hours later it was done. It really is not too tough if you have the right tools. We used a press, a dial indicator with stand, mcrometer, and a baring puller tool. And then some basic hand tools.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts