Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my first pattern the pinion was too shallow, I reshimmed and it looks acceptable to me, but I'm looking for some experienced opinions. It's an 8.8 and the backlash is at .014

coast:

drive:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I ain't no gear expert by any means, but it looks dead on to me. Just like the chart that came with my R&P from Randys and what my D44 looks like.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't know what the specs are for backlash on an 8.8, but the pattern looks like its centered to me....

here's a tip that may help you get a better pattern.

don't spin the yoke to turn the ring gear, instead, turn the ring gear to spin the yoke. its harder to do obviously, but usually yields a better pattern

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
??????????? can you re-paint it and turn the yoke smoothly while placing some good drag on the ring gear. ZUK

·
Registered
682 Posts
I used a big assed pry bar to place resistance on the carrier and turned the yoke. Made a nice pattern.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That looks pretty darned good.
When setup my gears they were within spec like that, but I shimmed a little more to get smack in the middle of the specs. But you're within specs so hey!:beer:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice I got a MUCH clearer pattern this time:

DUDE, thanks for the tip on posting and the comments on the pattern. :rolleyes: I posted this pattern over here because it was after reshimming, and I was hoping I'd get more input.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Adam----that pic you have above my post is excessively deep.....remove some shim from the pinion. My best guess is take 5~7 thousandths off the pinion.

PS---I saw the pic you posted last night over on Newbie General and that one was way too shallow....that one needed more pinion shim. Your patterns are easier to read now that you have some resistance when painting. Let us know what pinion shim values you are using to get these patterns. Thanks.

Adam----what value of pinion shim did you use here and what value on the other pic in Newbie General?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think he just meant my pattern was too shitty for him to get a good read :D

zuk I added a .010 to it from the original pic. i'll try a .005 now and see where that gets me. thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
that was not for you Beezil....for Adam.

Adam----the other pic was real shallow....you added .010 and this pic is too deep....see if you can take off a little less than the full 5....maybe closer to .004". just getting picky. :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Adam----and while you're at it, you might want to tighten the backlash up to minimum spec(.011).

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
those aftermarket ford gears spec at .006-.010 for lash you need to loose some depth and tighten lash

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
especially if you are running something like a detroit, I would go for as little backlash as the specs allow. You get so much slop out of the detroit you might as well make the gears tight as possible so there is slightly less beating and banging on the poor gears :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
slightly less beating and banging on the poor gears
huh?

if you set up two axles with the same backlash, one of the axles having a detroit, and the other a standard carrier, the backlash of the ring and pinion are still the same....

detroits don't cause your R&P to "bang" any more than a standard carrier.....

have you set up your own R&P's?
any first hand experience installing detroits?

your responce tells me no.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
brought it in .003, then .006 and here's where I'm at. Looks more centered to me. backlash is now .011. gearman did you mean FMS aftermarket gears or gears for fords in general. these are yukons if that matters. here are the newest pics:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
ya Beezil...I was thinkin the same about young gavan. ;)

Adam----you feel good that there is some good carrier bearing tension there? Putting the carrier back in the housing it went in tight....maybe had to beat it with a rubber hammer? I ask because I see a difference between the coast and drive side....the coast (first pic) looks good....but the drive looks a little shallow. Maybe re-paint the drive if you could. I am thinkin that the ring gear is moving around a couple thousanths....but if carrier pre-load is good then never mind.
Those are Yukon.....do the see US GEAR or the shield with a G in it on them?

AND it looks like the drive side would like to see even less backlash......be nice to bring it closer to the "inside"

it is alot better than your 1st pics in any event :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts