Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time doing gears and I'm looking for a little help with the pattern.

coast:

drive:

From staring at it for the last 45 minutes I feel like the pinion is too shallow, but I don't exactly do this for a living. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
it'll work,but you need another shim on the pinion and maybe one on the left......JMHO......BTW whats the backlash set at?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're popped because I was about to pull it and add a shim to the pinion. The pattern was run with them on.

****** the backlash is .014 (range was .011-.016)

I've got some stuff to do today, hopefully another few people will give their .02 before I get back to it tonight.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Adam----I responded to your other post over in General also. In this pic here, your coast side pattern appears ok...but the drive side looks considerably shallow. Make sure your carrier bearing pre-load has some actual pre-load to it......if you were able to just drop the case into the housing with some slop in there then you have no pre-load and your patterns will be all whacked up when you try to use the crowbar to add the required resistance(ring gear will move around).

notice I don't even concern myself about the backlash at this point.....I can see pinion depth problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts