Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a solid axle conversion on my Toyota.. I am installing a Dana 44 Front axle. The problem is I have already purchased a 5.29 ratio third for the rear (Toyota Rear End) and the closest I can get to that on the Dana is 5.38. I looked it up to do a tire size mismatch and it comes out to only a 1/2" difference in tire size. This doesn't seem to be enough to worry about.. IS IT??? I have heard conflicting stories from different people I have talked to..
Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I did alot of research on this cuz at one time I was gonna use a Dana44 front and a Toyota rear. Personally I wouldn't do it. Some guy's are doing it with good result's. I know there's very little difference but that little difference will put a little more stress on your x-case gears. It won't put much but I don't want to purposly put any added stress to anything. Some depends on the terrain you run on also. I think if you run on mud all the time that would help the tires slip a little releaving some of the different wheel spin. If you run on rocks all the time it is probly almost the same effect as running on asphault and would not relieve any of the difference in wheel spin.

To eliminate the difference you could run a little smaller tire in the rear. That would suck though cuz you couldn't rotate your tires. Rotating tires this way would make the difference even worse.

Like I said some guys do it without any trouble but personaaly I don't really like the idea. To each his own though

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
2stroke said:
i have 5.38`s front and 5.29 rear. dont really notice a difference. works well. detroits front and rear.
Alright... now im just confused..

Rear steer setup? :confused: Or why is there a trailer ball right there?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
DX2Dave said:

Alright... now im just confused..

Rear steer setup? :confused: Or why is there a trailer ball right there?
i think that's just the front of his truck dude..

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
DX2Dave said:
Maybe im the odd one out.. but I dont have a trailer ball in the front of my truck :laughing:
It makes moving a trailor around pretty easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts