Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Here we go. I have a 10 bolt rear that I have been working on getting gears in. The runout on the backlash is from 3 to 4 thou.

Here is my issue.

I can get the backlash into spec (from 6 to 10 thou)and get the pattern centered from top to root, but no matter what I do I cannot get it centered from heal to toe. I can get the drive side centered but the coast side is too high on the top.

I can get it centered more if I run the backlash from 3 to 7, but am not sure if I want it that tight.

Any suggestions? I think I just have an odd gear/carrier/housing combination.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
4 thou is a large variation. I'd pull the ring gear and file it flat, and make sure there's no crap between the carrier and ring gear. If that doesn't help, rotate the ring on the carrier. Did you check the runout on the carrier?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I agree with the runout being a bit much. But, Gearman has set up my stuff that tight, it was fine....

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
If the gears are new run them on the tight side, break in will loose a small amount of material which compounds, .001" off the gear face could be .003" more backlash because of the thrust angle.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update.

I checked the runout on the carrior and it is 2 thou. I cleaned/filed and cleaned the ring gear. I also rotated the gears on the carrior and cannot get the runout less than 4 thou.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
rotate the ring gear on the carrier 180 degrees from where it is now, or if you already did that, then rotate it 90 degrees. If that doesn't change anything, then call it good. :beer:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That'd probably work fine. Is this a daily driver?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'd bet that gear set will be noisy. Is it a "cheaper" brand r/p set? I've run into this before with Genuine Gear when I use to install those. May think about another r/p set although the .002 run out on the carrier isn't helping things much.
________
Karisa

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ihojeff said:
I'd bet that gear set will be noisy. Is it a "cheaper" brand r/p set? I've run into this before with Genuine Gear when I use to install those. May think about another r/p set although the .002 run out on the carrier isn't helping things much.
You are correct Jeff. It is a cheaper brand. What range of BL do you think I should set them at, 3 to 7 thou?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I second the notion that they might be noisy in a DD. In this case, I'd be inclined to get a different set of gears, or, worst case scenario, I'd open the BL to 5 thou minimum. You have time invested in the setup, you might as well try them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts