Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I'm considering swapping out my rear gear driven T-case for a chain driven T-case in my dual setup - mostly to gain the slightly lower ratio (2.57) and being that they are newer and quieter. But I would sooner not do it if the consensus is that it's best to keep the rear T-case gear drive. So, just wondering how many of you guys are running a chain drive in the back and if you've had any issues with it relating to strength and reliability.

Also, if this would be a good option, for a RHS output which model years would be the best? If not a good option, and you suggest I stick with gear-drive, does anyone know if all of the 1979-1995 gear-drive cases are interchangeable as far as dimensions are concerned (realising that I would have to convert a forward shift style to topshift if necessary)? Marlin refers to some R1FA's being taller than others.

Thanks for the input, I've searched lots, but couldn't find anything concrete on this.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do a search on dual cases and see how many guys run RF1A's compared to VF1A's and make your decision from there.

·
Registered
675 Posts
wait, let me get this straight...you want to pull out your reliable, easily upgradable and stronger gear driven transfer case and replace it with a weaker, un-upgradable chain driven case?

you do understand that you cannot gear down the chain driven case, so if you ever wanted the 4.0/4.7/5.0 gears, they'd have to go in the front case? Good luck with that.

Im curious if you actually used your brain when you thought of this idea? You understand you could just gear down your rear gear driven case for about the same price as the chain driven adapter.

like others have said, search on this one...there is a reason people like me got rid of the chain driven pile of shit and replaced it with gear driven cases.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
like others have said, search on this one...there is a reason people like me got rid of the chain driven pile of shit and replaced it with gear driven cases.
Well, I've actually done a lot of searching, and what I found is that a lot of people do not consider the chain drive cases a "pile of shit". I'm on my second set of 1980 style T-cases now, and I'm just getting a little tired of having to replace them this often - they are 30 years old. What I find is that a lot of these older ones have the housing around the front bearing worn out, so rebuilding them wouldn't work - you'd need a new housing. That is why I'm considering something newer.

Someone even suggested that the 1998 T-100 case is the newest case with RHS output, but I haven't looked into that.

I realize that the chain drives cannot be geared down, but for now, that's not what I'm after. I would prefer a dependable T-case that I wouldn't have to replace every year. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the ones I've used so far and if you guys suggest to stick with a gear driven case, I suppose I can look into whether the 1990's style cases would be interchangeable (and do a forward to top shift conversion if needed.)

Thanks for the comments, though.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i didn't mean to be such a dick, but think about it man, if you have problems with cases that are 30 years old, try a newer case..Toyota made the gear driven case all the way till 95...in fact, straight from the FAQ:

1989-1995 EFI W56 5sp 21 spline 3.95 4cyl 22R Gear driven Forward Shift Just convert it to top shift like you said you needed.

OR

1985-1988 EFI W56 5sp 21 spline 3.95 4cyl 22R Gear driven Top Shift

a lot of people are beating on gear driven cases without problems, a hell of a lot more than chain driven, thats for sure.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's a reason I paid over 2K for a ready to run Gear driven dual ultimate from Marlin and GAVE AWAY my chain driven case.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I threw my chain case in the dumpster because I could not get rid of it. I was tired of it taking up room in my garage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks guys. I suppose I'll stick with the gear drivens. Wouldn't require mods to my crossmember etc, as well. Thanks for the link to AA - I didn't realize someone makes replacement housings. Will look into that.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
though id rather have dual gear driven cases, my friends truck is living proof that a chain drive case will get it every where and hold up to the abuse thrown at it. this truck only puts out around a 100hp but ive seen the rear tire bind up in little sluice and rotate almost 90* and snap back and keep going. its been bound up hard in numerous other spots where its just disgusting to look at but the chain drive keeps on going. we've torn it apart to and transfered all the internals into another shell cause the housing broke due to a poor mounting design. everything was ok on the inside. its 290:1. 4.7s in the front case.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw that dodge/mitsu on a trailer behind a super duty with a cool dog in the bed at the ace hardware off East ave last week i think. Beastly to say the least :smokin:. The pictures dont do it justice..

·
Registered
784 Posts
X2 colby's 50 is sick!

I will be running a gear driven crawler with 4.7s in front of my chain driven tacoma t-case. Im not concerned about lack of strenth in the chain driven case at all. and in my last truck I had the 4.7 gears in the front case without any issues also. My .02

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've seen many VF1A case's behind 4.70 gear crawler boxes. Most is Tacoma's and a few dozen behind 3.0L trucks.

Few things to compare are the VF1A has a 23 spline input shaft and a 30 spline output shaft. All RF1A's came with a 27 spline and most (expect 86-87 turbo's) had a 21 spline input gear.

The few failures I've seen in the VF1A are mostly the 23 spline input gear with the exception of one 30 spline VF1A output shaft. I have not seen a single chain fell. Of coarse this is only from the knowledge we gained from testing and customer feed back. The VF1A is not for everyone.

·
Marlin Crawler, Inc.
1,426 Posts
Other notes to add to this is that the chain drive t/case is a bit lighter and is synchronously engagable: you can engage 4WD as well as low range on the fly without stopping.

I wrote a very simple comparo on this a looooooooooong time ago that had some small key comparisons. Hang on a second....

Here it is, check it out: http://marlincrawler.com/java/gearvschain.html That was originally writen back in 2004 I believe.

Regards,
BigMike

EDIT: Please note that I plan on removing the entire /java/ directory on our site this summer, so this link will go dead soon-

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I saw that dodge/mitsu on a trailer behind a super duty with a cool dog in the bed at the ace hardware off East ave last week i think. Beastly to say the least :smokin:. The pictures dont do it justice..
ya it was probably a last minute bolt pick-up before we hit the road.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ive got a warped chain drive t-case on my auto 4runner. it makes aweful noises when there is no tension on the chain. im looking to replace it with an auto adapter and gear driven tcase from marlin this summer.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
ive got a warped chain drive t-case on my auto 4runner. it makes aweful noises when there is no tension on the chain. im looking to replace it with an auto adapter and gear driven tcase from marlin this summer.
is your runner built? how much oil was in that thing?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts