Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ40 350 does not have a rear mount anywhere on the 4spd box/transfer case. It just hangs off the Bell housing with the original 4 bolts. Is this common or do most conversions have some sort of rear mount?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yep, pretty common, assuming your 350 bellhousing has the rear "motor" mounts also. The toy tranny and tcase were designed to be "cantilevered" off the back of the bellhousing.

L

·
0 Posts
The old school of thought on the rear motor mount with a sbc, dealt with the type of bellhousing used. Cast Iron was ok mounted at the bellhousing, Aluminum was not. Most said the alum could not hold the weight and the bolts would pull out under the stress of the unsuported weight. That is were the transmount came about being bolted to the rear of the transfer case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is the transmount usualy welded to the chassis? My drivetrain is unsupported too. What has become of the oldschool line of thought? Has there been an absence of failures in the aluminium bell housings?

L

·
0 Posts
The only kits I have seen from the usual suppliers all come with the Trans/transfer mout across the back. It is supported by two L shaped brackets that are welded to the frame, very similar to the front motor mounts that weld to the frame. On my sbc, I have the cast bellhousing form a 65-67 chev truck. It has the orginal mounting location on the botom corners. However there is a major clearnace problem with the front driveline to use these mounting position. I have seen a few custom bent tubing mounts on cruisers ,but they hung down pretty low to clear the driveshaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts