Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as some of you may know I’ve been mulling around some ideas for my ‘90 k1500, and being the weirdo I am I have decided to do a custom ifs using the portal knuckles and front differential from a humvee, as well as the np242amg transfer case from one. I want this to be an overlander, so I still want to have proper gearing in Awd (the humvee transfer case is an all time 4wd case) so I can run down the highway without my engine screaming. I plan on doing a rebuild and upgrade of the stock 350 tbi and 700r4, then redesigning the rest of the drivetrain using the humvee parts, including using the two back portals on a 9.5” 14 bolt I found at a salve yard. While discussing it with a friend and fellow Offroad enthusiast, we hit a snag while going through the logic of the proposed build. With the use of the humvee portals I have a 1.92:1 reduction, making the equivalent gearing of overdrive in my trans go from .70 to 1.344. Even with using 35” tires and 3.42 gears (highest ratio I could find for an HD replacement set for the 14 bolt) it still only gets me about 48 mph at 2100 rpm. I did some calculations and I need at least another 35% gear up to run comfortably at ~70 mph. How could I go about achieving this? Is there something I could do in the ways of divorced t case with a gearbox in between it and the trans (sounds scary but I’m an engineer, I could make it work), or is there an easier way to gear up my final ratio?

·
blatant asshole
13,465 Posts
Oe hummers are 2.73 amc m20 diffs.

Wtf would you use just the front and not both oe diffs?

Go find some old 60-80s boat ass cars like old/lincoln/cadi and get 2 of those diffs in the 2.41 flavor.

Is also a sbc, it will run 3k all day.

If you dont want your motor screaming wtf are you useing a drive system that is esentialy locked in @ 5.24:1 or deeper with only 35" tires.

·
blatant asshole
13,465 Posts
This post is where this bs started so if upu want to read through the thoughts that lead to this new thread, here you go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post is where this bs started so if upu want to read through the thoughts that lead to this new thread, here you go.

You sure did earn that title you have

·
blatant asshole
13,465 Posts
Wtf is with the gm 1500 overland retards?

I got a truck and the dumbest idea possible der der der let fuck these thing all together and derp derp derp.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,846 Posts
Wtf is with the gm 1500 overland retards?

I got a truck and the dumbest idea possible der der der let fuck these thing all together and derp derp derp.
i’m not sure which axle is worse. C-clip 10 bolt or aluminum. May as well be made of glass.

“hey i’m going to start with the worst possible platform, overload it, and go offroad. Please cuddle me and tell me how awesome I am”

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i’m not sure which axle is worse. C-clip 10 bolt or aluminum. May as well be made of glass.

“hey i’m going to start with the worst possible platform, overload it, and go offroad. Please cuddle me and tell me how awesome I am”
That’s why I’m changing both axles, I plan on using the amc 20 from a humvee and a 9.5” 14 bolt I bought

1 - 9 of 9 Posts