Pirate 4x4 banner

Gearing for my set up???

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cpmaple 
#1 ·
Hello new to this site second or third time posting might have my topic in wrong location if so please move to correct one. Have a question about my rig. I run a 358 sbc putting out around 450hp which is new to the rig this season. 2 speed powerglide , divorce dana 23 transfer case, 5.13gears rear and 4.10 front. with 37 in patty tires. Been testing on the lawn in my mud pit and it seems like im lacking speed lots of power. I run a 200ft pit roughly 1ft of water and mud. Wondering what I should be running for gearing only my second year with this rig. Might be switching to 3/4 or 1 ton running gear real soon. All help and I would be thankful to any and all.

#2 ·
the way I learned it, you never run different size gears..

what are "patty tires"?

there is all kinds of mud.. a video or something would give us a better idea of the type of mud

is this pit you run, on your property?

is this a daily driver, or is it a pure muddin machine?

#7 ·
One truck I built years ago, guy who bought it mud raced it. Had a pretty nasty big block, 4-speed, 4.10 front, 4.56 rears with 35s. Said the higher gear up front helped pull, but that was 4.1 to 4.5. I never understood this, but I don't mud race either. Id say too much rear gear.

#9 ·
I cant post pics yet due to not enough post per the site. But if you go to YouTube and lookup Buckets Bog from 2018 video 4 I think it is you will see my buggy. Patty tires have 2.5in lugs like a tractor tire. they are 7.5x16's my buggy measures 9ft 8in center of axle to center of axle. This is only mud use. Yes it does seem to drag the rear some on hard ground but cant tell in the pits. But its an animal far as traction goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.