Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I can't search, I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm going to be putting in a ford 8.8 that already has 4.10's. I have the 4.0, factory 231 and auto trans which I believe first gear is 2.74. Tires are currently 33s and I only see myself going to 35's in the future.

Would you suggest gearing higher or is 4.10 acceptable. It isn't my dd, however still like to take it out around town and to/from trails. I already know I have to get the front regeared, (D30 currenly w/ 3.07) and I've looked at alot of gearing charts that are posted online, however haven't come across one that shows a list including an auto tranny. If you know of one, let me know. Thx

·
Registered
202 Posts
Going from stock to 4:10's will be quite a difference, but if your more concerned with off road performance, and if U do stick with the 4:10's, the money U save on the one axle gear job could be put towards a 4-1 kit for the 231. Just something to think about.

WoRM :jeep:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I ran 35s with my stock 3.73 gears and it sucked. when I did my axle swap, I went with 4.56s and it is a big difference. If you are going no bigger than 35s, ever, then you can get away with 4.10 and an auto. It will run better with the 4.56s though. Do get the 4:1 though, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna give it a few and see if I can find a matching dana 30 with 4.10 somewhere cheap. That way, I can at least wheel with the 8.8 and decide later to upgrade to 4.56's or the 4 to 1.

One of these days hopefully I'll have both but til I win the lotto, gonna have to save up a bit of coin.

·
Registered
654 Posts
4:1 is only gonna give you lower gears off road, not during your daily jaunts. look for a 4 cyl YJ, they came stock with 4.10s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts