Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 85 XJ w/4.7l stroker and an AW4. The rear axle is a D44 and the front I am building is a HP D44 full width. I wheel a lot in Moab on the not so slick rock and turning with lockers can be a real pain. The rear ratio is 4.56. Would going to a 4.55 front help the steering any on the sandstone? This is not a DD and is tow dollied to the trails. I have seen 4.55's but I haven't checked if they have them in the HP cut.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey fatwreck wheres that independence trail??? is it in colorado???? im livin in steamboat right now and there isnt a hint of rocks out here just mud well PM with that info if you get a chance looks like a good run

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indy is down by Colorado Springs.

The reason for not going with an ARB is simply $$$. I have three kids in college so priorities get in the way. I will be running a simple QuickLoc in the front and hubs. I'm not even doing high steer, I'm just flipping the TRE's and going with one ton units. I have been looking at doing a hydro assist since I can score the cylinder cheap and I have a machine shop.

·
Registered
355 Posts
if he has a D44 front with locking hubs, he will have 2lo. Just hop out and unlock 1 or both of the hubs and theres your 2lo. I know it can be a pain jumping in and out of the truck at every sharp turn, but it works and its free...which suits my style just fine, dont know about you.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Tom Houston are you running that fullwidth front with the stock width dana 44 rear. I thought about doing it with mine but I am not sure if the front would be too wide. Just wondering--------Kyle

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
offroadman83 said:
Tom Houston are you running that fullwidth front with the stock width dana 44 rear. I thought about doing it with mine but I am not sure if the front would be too wide. Just wondering--------Kyle
You could then get the Spidertrax 5 on 4-1/2 to 5 on 5-1/2 wheel spacers for the rear stock xj dana 44 to change the wheel pattern to match the front and also get 2-3" or so in the rear as well. That would be a good mod. I'm probably going to do that when I build up a hp dana 44 for the front.
Troy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I already have a set of spacers that change the rear 44 from 4.5" to 5.5" They add about 2" in width. That should put it within a decent width to match the HP 44 on the front. Due to the lack of $$$, I have been getting the parts together for this project for about 6 months.

I did thie same thing for a year while I built my stroker on the engine stand before doing the swap. Strokers RULE!!!

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Tom Houston said:
The rear ratio is 4.56. Would going to a 4.55 front help the steering any on the sandstone? This is not a DD and is tow dollied to the trails. I have seen 4.55's but I haven't checked if they have them in the HP cut.
What in the world would ever give you this idea?

If you cant afford a selectable, or hydro assist, and dont like the steering effort, then take the front locker out, simple as that. Building for off road function has its compromises, if you cant handle them then its time to rethink your plans.

And do us all a favor, delete this shit and move it to newbie where it belongs.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
a 100th of difference in gearing will do nothing to assist is steering at all, I don't even understand your train of thought/theory behind that? :confused:

selectable locker, 2-low, unlocking hubs, or no locker are your only options here.....

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
P&T Jeeps said:
selectable locker, 2-low, unlocking hubs, or no locker are your only options here.....

You forgot the options of hydro steering and four wheel steer. :flipoff2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts