Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be pulling the 3rd members out of my 87 4runner and getting a true trac installed front and rear with 4.56 gears. Question is what sort of maintanance should I do while pulling the third members? The truck has probably about 215k on it and assuming no maintanance, except rebuilt engine. Should I replace oil seals, bearings ect..? Thanks and yes I am a noob but you all were at one time or another so cut me some slack :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your question doesn't make any sense. What do you mean by what kind of maintanence? Do you mean what precaution should you take? First off, I would not recommend that you rebuild the third member yourself unless you have done it before. But from the sound of things, you haven't so take it to a shop. When you change out gears you have to consider the fact that when you reinstall them, there are critical issues such as pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, backlash, and carrier bearing preload that have to be considered. If you don't you WILL have a gear failure it is that simple. My best suggestion would be take it to a diff shop.

·
Registered
34,264 Posts
Your question makes perfect sence to me....... on the rear, check the brakes, and the seals on the end of the axle. on the front, take the time to check out the cv's [see if they are loose and have excess play in them and go ahead and repack the front wheel bearing, who knows when those were done last;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the info. BTW I am pulling the 3rd members and bringing them into a shop to set up the gears. Seabass got exactly what I meant, which is what sort of maintanence should I do while its apart. Thanks

·
Registered
34,264 Posts
ZUK said:
I might put the rear 3rd in the front....and the front one in the rear.
might been impossibe since it's IFS front:D check your reading comp:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,264 Posts
ZUK said:
Details are what seperates the "PCE's" from the others;) just like oposed thumbs seperate us from the animals.:flipoff2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.