Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well, I bought an 83 Toyota a lil over a month back, and installed a 3.5" lift and 33"Boggers. Well, I am bored with the short stance of it, and wanna go bigger, so......

I want to go to 38.5x16 Baja Claws, or to 39.5x15 Swamper STS. I know alot of lift is required, but I am concerned with gearing. Are 5.71's gonna be enough to push the tires?? It has 4.30 now with the 33s, and seems to be great. I mainly just DD the rig, as I have a few other toys I play in. So would the 5.71s be enough with the 22r? Do you guys think it'll work? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
avoid the 5.71s and go with 5.29s, you are gunna need longfields to wheel with tires that size, if you dont know what those are start reading up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
And what exactly do you think is lower than 5.71 with out going Rockwell or Mog?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am familiar with longfeilds, as my Samurai has em with its 38s. And no msj, I know there arent gears deeper for a Toy than 5.71s. My question was would they push that tire size effectively for DD?

·
Registered
711 Posts
of course they'll push 38s or whatever ( 5.71s are like a 39% reduction in gears, and 38s are about 35% bigger than stockers..), but like what the others said, you'll be breakin teeth before you ever leave the pavement..

PS- any why waste that much $$$ on tires for a dd?? 33 boggers on your dd?!?!:rolleyes: :shaking:

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Keep the stock R&P gears, and put in a dual unlimate crawler. Then just drive around town in stock low range. Use the 4.7 gears for low range on the trails.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what I should put in is 5.29s then? This rig never sees trails. Like I said earlier, I have toys for play, I have a Sami with dual toy cases, and 38s, and I have 2 K-20s on 40s. I just wanna use this toy as a Daily Driver. No dual cases, just a simple gear swap. Pavement poundin mall truck if thats what ya wanna call it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MRM4418 said:

PS- any why waste that much $$$ on tires for a dd?? 33 boggers on your dd?!?!:rolleyes: :shaking:

I put the 33s on cause I took em off my Sami when I raised it and put the 38s on it. Basically, they were gonna rot if I didnt put em on something. why not put those tires on a DD?? The other rigs are sportin real tires (Hawgs and TSLs) just gonna put a more streetable tire on it is all

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
SJ410Bark said:
so what I should put in is 5.29s then? This rig never sees trails. Like I said earlier, I have toys for play, I have a Sami with dual toy cases, and 38s, and I have 2 K-20s on 40s. I just wanna use this toy as a Daily Driver. No dual cases, just a simple gear swap. Pavement poundin mall truck if thats what ya wanna call it.
then youre a fawkin idiot for wasting $$ on big tires and shitty gas mileage...

i have 38's and 5.29's, my truck only breaks 60 mph tacked out in 3rd with my ass hanging off the rear farting(afterburner :nuke: )........i have chosen to tow it lately because it is so retarded on the street. if your just gonna drive around town and go less than 40 mph throw it in 2wd low, like chris said, otherwise whats the point? :rainbow:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
theyrenotBoogerWeldz said:
Then youre a fawkin idiot for wasting $$ on big tires and shitty gas mileage...

i have 38's and 5.29's, my truck only breaks 60 mph tacked out in 3rd with my ass hanging off the rear farting(afterburner :nuke: )........i have chosen to tow it lately because it is so retarded on the street. if your just gonna drive around town and go less than 40 mph throw it in 2wd low, like chris said, otherwise whats the point? :rainbow:
I was gonna bite my tongue and not say anything because I don't have anything nice to say. But Paul's right. Even with just 36s and 5.29s I get around 10MPG. It's a great daily driver, downshifting to maintain 65MPH when climbing the hills for the highway overpasses. But it sure looks cool on the street. :shaking:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theyrenotBoogerWeldz said:

then youre a fawkin idiot for wasting $$ on big tires and shitty gas mileage...

callin me :rainbow: for thinkin about doing something you've done. That takes lotsa ballz, or lil brains, take yer pick. I will just leave it alone, and wait for opinions worth hearing later

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
YOu're wanting to do eaxactly what he's done. He didn't like doing it. And I understand. Big tires on a 4banger toy on the street flat out suck balls. You're not going to get around the three problems with your idea:
10 MPG...
The inability to pass that little car before the road narrows, even with your foot on the floor and the motor at 6 grand...
And a max speed of 65-70 mph. If there's no headwind.

How is his opinion not worth hearing? He's calling the idea of putting anything bigger than 31 on a DD :rainbow:... hes not calling you :rainbow:. Chill.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
38 on daily driven toys............................. i guess we have come to the point in toyota build up development that we are now attracting guys who just don't get it.

38 on trail rigs only work because we run 4:10 gears for strength. like chris mentioned with the dual case set up you can get away with a little bit of around town driving but as a DD it is just unpractable.

fyi. i have tryed 5.71 with 38 for the exact purpose of trying to drive on the street. it sucked. and they broke on the first trail i ran.really bad idea.

for a DD i would think the practial limit is 35 with a 5:29 gear and some motor mods.

·
Battle Masher
2,243 Posts
you need crossover or your steering is going to be a bitch

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
SJ410Bark said:
so what I should put in is 5.29s then? ****This rig never sees trails. ****No dual cases, just a simple gear swap. Pavement poundin mall truck if thats what ya wanna call it.
im not calling you :rainbow:, but your idea is pointless and has what? to do with the sport this board is about....

****This rig never sees trails. ****

????????

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Another vote for "Pauls right"! Come awn now, 38's on a Toy DD that will never see the trail :rolleyes:

A great set up would be 33 or 35" radials, 4.88's or 5.29's, warm up the engine a little and you'll have a great DD!

Just one mans opinion;)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Driveability has A LOT to do with type of tires, not just the diameter.

My current truck with 4.88 and 37's (mtr's) gets awesome mileage and has better power than my old truck which had 5.29's and 35's (TSL's)

I would say if you "must" run big tires on the street, get some MTR's.

Oh yeah- I can drive 90MPH all day on my current setup. Maybe it has something to do with your monkey bars + big a$$ SX's Paul?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
TK said:
Driveability has A LOT to do with type of tires, not just the diameter.

My current truck with 4.88 and 37's (mtr's) gets awesome mileage and has better power than my old truck which had 5.29's and 35's (TSL's)

I would say if you "must" run big tires on the street, get some MTR's.

Oh yeah- I can drive 90MPH all day on my current setup. Maybe it has something to do with your monkey bars + big a$$ SX's Paul?
yeah, i was lookin to get rid off the beadlocks and sx's and run some black steelies with 37's, there is no getting rid of the death wobble caused by an agging sx on an unbalanced beadlock...it even shakes the ass of the tacoma flattowing between 40-45mph...if the 4link ends up streetable ill probably go that route in the future...wanna trade?:D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, thanks all for the input. I will just put the 4.88s in, and the 4.3 Chevy. I know it can handle it, and then I will just mud the lil truck til it dies. I was just curious as to whether the 4 cyl was keepable. Since it is apparent that I need more motor, I will just bash this rig too, and keep driving the 2wd 66 Chevy PU around town. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts