Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok im sure this isnt anew subject or anything but im gonna post my question..ive searched and couldnt find much on gears for a f/s bronco..well im gonna be starting my sas soon and am a little foggy on gear size...what do you guys think i should go with?im gonna be running a 351w, 5 speed, 38'' tsl's on a hpd44 with a lockrite,that would see the con about once a month.decent acceleration,but its not too important...i have the stock transfer case but would like to get a doubler and all that good stuff,but for now im gonna stick with gears..so what would be the best size to go with?

thanks, Sean

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Look to a 4:88 for 38's but remember if you go to a double you multiply your torque values and make axle snapping very easy to do

·
Registered
100 Posts
According to the RPM vs. Gear ratio chart. 4.56's w/38" tires would give you 55mph cruising rpm of 2,218. With 4.88's w/38's get you 2,373 rpm's. I guess it depends on how fast you drive and what you want your rpm's to be.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
hil I dont know of too many people that cruise with 38's....LOL

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh i would like to cruise at about 60-65..being that i have a 5 sp i think i need to go bigger gear size maybe 5.23's or something..how big can i go with a 9'' and a hpd44?

thanks, Sean

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe cruise isnt the right word. Maybe "float" or "terrorize the small and afraid" or "doing everything I can to keep this damned thing between the lines". That last one is from experience. HeeHee.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
been there before...ill be swapping in all new steering so i hope that'll take most of that wondering away.....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone know the biggest size gears you can have in a 9'' and a d44?

·
Registered
130 Posts
i'd say 38s would be about the biggest you would want to run with stock shafts and even then with a heavy right foot you could be in trouble

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
you can go up to 5.89 with the 44 and almost anything with the 9"

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright...thanks for the help...

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.