Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have done this swap, or your buddy has a GenIII chevy in his jeep, can you list the mods and parts used.

Currently I have a 2003 5.3 from a tahoe.
Just picked up a LS1 oil pan/pickup
Picking up stock manifolds from a 2002 trans-am.
I have an atlas sitting here also.
I have the advance adapters saddle mount engine kit here.

My next step is the 4L60 tranny.
I plan to use Howell for the harness/ECU re-flash.

I am just looking for tips and tricks on this swap. I've read a few threads on using a shorter intake, and different pully setups.
Also, what is the best manufacturer on radiators?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Send back the saddle mount and get weld-on mounts.

Be carefull with engine placement as the 5.3s have tall intake manifolds. Swapping to a car manifold means moving accessories around.

I have had good luck over the years with Afco dirt track radiators, not sure if they make one with the ports in the right spot for an LS1. Universal radiators are cheaper than the direct-fit conversion radiators and not difficuilt to mount.

Sounds like you have it 90% figured out, dive in and figure out the other 10% as you go!

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I'm doing the same swap except I'll be using a 700R4 tranny. My harness and ECM is going to Jims Performance based an numerous recommendations here. Also, the 2003 should have a drive-by-wire throttle body. Are you planning on keeping that or going cable?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The advice regarding "90% and learn the rest" is spot on. A couple of adds:
  • I too used Jim's Performance for the harness and CPU mods to get a good starting point. He's fast, cheap and good. He can also handle ETC if you have the throttle controller and harness.
  • Advance Adapters has the Gen-III radiators with the steam port fittings
  • John Deere is a good source for cheap(er) metric hardware

Good luck.

PS,
You might get a better response in GENERAL, as this is not really a hard core swap these days.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have picked up a cable throttle body also (forgot about that little hickup) . How about a number for Jims?
THachiya: Do you have this swap? I'm only 2 hours away, and wouldn't mind checking it out one day you are not busy.
I put a TB V-8 into a TJ a few years ago, had to build my own motor mounts and such, but just spending all the time working on it got to be a pain. I am trying to get everything sitting here to make this a week-long conversion when I start.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
97JeepTJ : the Saddle mount does not work with the TJ series stuff or the gen 3 block.

for multiple reasons, 1; it bolts to the shock towers on the YJ series and 2: you most likely have upper control arms (unless you have done a swap to leaf or Radius arm)

The Motor Mounts you will need are P/N:
713092 (without A/C)
OR
713093 (with A/C)

These are both motor mounts for a TJ 97'-06' and bolt up to the Gen III 4 bolt pattern motor mounts. the difference is if you want to keep A/C or not.

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
PS,
You might get a better response in GENERAL, as this is not really a hard core swap these days.
WTF?!?!

Guess I'll hold off on my questions till I start working on my PT6 swap then. Just because you've already done it doesnt mean it isnt still hardcore. Do I not recall a hundred page thread on 302's.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My take is that motor swaps are hard, but common swaps aren't really hard-core. (i.e. >90% over-the-counter purchased parts.) No biggie, I'll admit to being confused as to the guidelines for "Chit-Chat," "Non-Hard-Core Tech," "General Tech," and "Hard Core Tech." (Note: I'm probably not the only misguided individual in my understanding. :grinpimp:)

THachiya: Do you have this swap?
Yes, I have the LQ9 (6L HO) variant of this motor in the WTF-J. You're welcome anytime. (I'm in S.E. Cincy - Anderson Twp.)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have done a TJ and a YJ I used 5.7 vortec motors in both W/ t-350 trannys
I used the Howell harnesses on both and even the stock computers. Up to 98 the vortec motors did not need to be flashed. The harnesses make it pretty straight forward. You will encounter some little things but all in all pretty simple. I built my own motor mounts using poly bushings and 3/16 tabs welded to the frame rails. I have been wheeling both jeeps for several years now and no problems at all.

Good luck

I guess if you put big tires on the jeep it will be accepable in the "hard core' forum

·
D-FENS
2,387 Posts
My take is that motor swaps are hard, but common swaps aren't really hard-core. (i.e. >90% over-the-counter purchased parts.) No biggie, I'll admit to being confused as to the guidelines for "Chit-Chat," "Non-Hard-Core Tech," "General Tech," and "Hard Core Tech." (Note: I'm probably not the only misguided individual in my understanding. :grinpimp:)

Yes, I have the LQ9 (6L HO) variant of this motor in the WTF-J. You're welcome anytime. (I'm in S.E. Cincy - Anderson Twp.)
id say links and coilovers are more common than LSx series swaps. maybe we should take all that jibber jabber to chit chat as well?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
id say links and coilovers are more common than LSx series swaps. maybe we should take all that jibber jabber to chit chat as well?:flipoff2:

Perhaps. It was more of a joke than anything else. Hard Core is gradually devolving into Dear Abbey for bolt-ons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You didn't say if your engine swap has to be emmissions legal or not so I'll assume you don't have to worry about evaportive cannister issues. This alone is far more work than building motor mounts. The exhaust manifolds on the 5.3 splay outwards making the motor wider than conventional small blocks. I didn't think T/A manifolds were non-siamesed in the middle ports, but I'm not an F body guy. Reprogramming is only necessary to remove the Body control module function, such as pass key, tow haul, and other non emmisions MIL possibilities. Of course in your case the TAC module functions are an issue as well. I have done 3 of these engine conversion and if you can do it in a week, you are a far better man than I.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No emmisions in Ohio (THANK GOD!). I have not seen the TA manifolds yet, won't work? I thought I read that they would work. Maybe just wasted $50. Probably won't accomplish this in a week, but would love to have everything sitting here so when I decide to pull the trigger, I don't get blind-sided by something stupid. Like fuel lines for instance. I have a 6-cylinder jeep now, hoping to keep the stock fuel pump and lines. Radiator hoses for instance. Has anyone found an off the shelf set to use? Just little nick picking peices that I can get before starting to build it. I just don't want the jeep sitting for 2 months and loosing interest.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
I'd suggest looking at M.O.R.E.'s motor mounts. They have a Gen III mount for a TJ now. IMO their mounts are the best out there. Many, many hours of R&D goes into each product.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
No emmisions in Ohio (THANK GOD!). I have not seen the TA manifolds yet, won't work? I thought I read that they would work. Maybe just wasted $50. Probably won't accomplish this in a week, but would love to have everything sitting here so when I decide to pull the trigger, I don't get blind-sided by something stupid. Like fuel lines for instance. I have a 6-cylinder jeep now, hoping to keep the stock fuel pump and lines. Radiator hoses for instance. Has anyone found an off the shelf set to use? Just little nick picking peices that I can get before starting to build it. I just don't want the jeep sitting for 2 months and loosing interest.
I don't think the rad hoses will work. I just ordered the AA aluminum radiator for my build.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I stand corrected, I looked up some pictures of an 02 T/A and it does indeed have a Gen3 style exhaust manifold. I did my swap four years ago and I milled my left side manifold at an angle to roll the manifold in,then I had to use angled spacers on the bolts to get a good seal. Your way is easier if they do indeed work. My engine came out of an 01 p/u which has plenty of room. You mentioned fuel lines, I converted all of mine to AN and made my own lines from about the middle of the trans back to a GM pump I installed in my tank. I don't know what TJ's run for pressure but the gen 3's run much higher(55-62psi) than a TBI or even a TPI which ran at 45 although I think the pump was rated to 60.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I stand corrected, I looked up some pictures of an 02 T/A and it does indeed have a Gen3 style exhaust manifold. I did my swap four years ago and I milled my left side manifold at an angle to roll the manifold in,then I had to use angled spacers on the bolts to get a good seal. Your way is easier if they do indeed work. My engine came out of an 01 p/u which has plenty of room. You mentioned fuel lines, I converted all of mine to AN and made my own lines from about the middle of the trans back to a GM pump I installed in my tank. I don't know what TJ's run for pressure but the gen 3's run much higher(55-62psi) than a TBI or even a TPI which ran at 45 although I think the pump was rated to 60.
This is good information. Thanks alot for sharing. What did you use for radiator and hoses? I'm leaning towards the AA radiator along with an aux tranny cooler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used a custom made dimpled core in a cross flow configuration and made my own shroud. I used an external cooler for the tranny also. It was a lot of work but it cools very well.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Camaro/Firebird manifolds work better than the truck manifolds. Do a search and you will find a wealth of info on swapping the Gen3 motors.

Kyle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts