Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a place to see, show and learn simple fabrication. Tips, tricks and processes other people use that would make fabricating basic parts that we use on our wheelers easier if we only knew.
It's kind of like this thread but up to date and more focused on the processes.
It's not a thread about plasma tables, CNC lathes and other higher end equipment but how to fabricate with basic tools. It's also not about the tools so much, but how they can be used.

I'll go first :D
Tip: If you can, drill all holes first before cutting material to size. The parent material makes a good handle while working on your piece.
Here, a hole saw is used for the half rounds and a step drill is used for the smaller hole because it's fast, makes a clean hole and leaves a nice chamfer.

( Since the material used here is 4130, I should have made the circle cut outs with the hole saw complete so that they could have then been turned into weld washers :shaking:)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
When you get into machining there's always a better thing to do first the more complicated the part the more before thought required- There are parts We make that require many different steps -in a peticular order or the out come is shiatty . The durability c/v we designed went thru stages and we learned as we went - its sometimes time consuming and does not bear fruit right off the batt . I have sold maybe 45 so far -there 1k each -and have another 15 next week to make happen -Jess

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
This could be an awesome thread JR.

How about plasma templates for hand cutting.
We use 3/16-1/4" dustboard, cut with a jigsaw 3/16" smaller than needed(the distance from the edge of the plasma tip to the edge of the cut)
Just clamp it down and trace.

(I'll add a pic when I can dig one up)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So what did you cut the rest of the material out with? Plasma, torch, jig saw? If offering this a tips and how to then make it complete. This is a good idea as I have people asking me how I make certain things. All I have is torch, henrob, cut-off wheel, jig-saw,saw-zall, chop saw and a large horizontal band-saw for cutting material. I would like a plasma but haven't dropped the coin for a good one yet. But I have took my time and made some nice parts with what I got.

I made this front truss by laying out my design from a piece of card board. Using my torch to cut it out. A flap disc on a grinder to clean it up. Then I cut out some 1/8" material 2 pieces each to fit width and length to the point. I used a hammer and bent the 1/8" to fit the radius. Welded everything up and used a flap disc to clean it up.

·
Registered
25,432 Posts
I don't know what dustboard is....

This could be an awesome thread JR.

How about plasma templates for hand cutting.
We use 3/16-1/4" dustboard, cut with a jigsaw 3/16" smaller than needed(the distance from the edge of the plasma tip to the edge of the cut)
Just clamp it down and trace.

(I'll add a pic when I can dig one up)

But I do the same thing with 1/4" finished birch plywood. If you use a good jigsaw and a fresh blade you have a very clean line, depending only on how well you follow it. Great for repeatable cuts. It also is good to use just for exact copies when only marking to cut with another tool if you don't have a plasma.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My tip of the day for backyard fabbers is- When you tack anything, if its possible only tack the outer edges so when you runn your bead you dont have to work around a tack in the center of your pass.

One of my biggest pet peeves.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Heres one I recently started doing....

Since I always end up with alot of scrap pieces of tube 4"-6" I started to just notch both ends in 5 degree increments...

so I end up with a tube with a 5 degree on one end and a 10 degree on the other,next tube has a 15 degree and a 20 and so on....

these come in super handy when you need to know the correct notch angle(especially if if your notch intersects with a bend!!!) and cant tell if you need a 20 or a 30 degree notch....by having these scrap pieces around you can hold one up and know what your notch needs to be.

(note: if anyone needs pics I can get them for ya but I thing its pretty self explanitory....)

Also...

Before you go and buy one of these liquid filled angle finders(that are pretty hard to read....)

A piece of scrap tube,flat plate and a nut/bolt can build you something cheaper and easier to read!!!

Go to sears and buy this digital torpedo level that happens to have a magnet that keeps it stuck....

This tool comes in handy in multi-plane bends as well as two bends in phase...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I use damn near the exact setup for my rotational bends...I love my digital level...works great. The only difference is that my jig to hold it to the tube uses a couple pieces of angle iron welded together and a nut welded to it..I'll add pics later to show.

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
A router can cut aluminum... I rought cut this plate to make a t-case adapter with a band saw. Bolted it to the t-case then finished it off with a 2 flute flush cut router bit in a router. The plate is 3/4" thick. I used wd-40 to for lubrication

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So what did you cut the rest of the material out with? Plasma, torch, jig saw? If offering this a tips and how to then make it complete.
The focus of my tip was not about how the pieces were cut and trimmed. I left that up to whatever means people have (skinny wheel, jig saw,plasma, etc)
I personally use a band saw and a belt sander but a skinny wheel and hand grinder with a flap wheel would work fine.

My thought is that if the focus is on the tip rather than the whole project, then the post will not get bogged down with too much detail.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great idea.

When I make tabs like this I make them mirror about the large hole center, thatway one holesaw cut is used for two brackets.

Tip, I fab my axle bracket like this out of 3.5" strip steel, that way I have less cutting.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nice thread so far.

·
Registered
883 Posts
it may be a bit more expensive but if you have std width tabs (say 3" or 4") buy flat bar rather than a piece of plate. That way the edges are always straight and pre rounded!

Great thread.

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A piece of scrap tube,flat plate and a nut/bolt can build you something cheaper and easier to read!!!
And I thought I was the only one doing this...ha,ha.

Same thing as Rock Ape only I dedicated a set of tube clamp piers (IMS $10.95)
and welded flat bar to it. The level is secured with thumb screws.

Attachments

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weld washers.
Drilling either the inside hole or hole sawing the outside is easy. It's holding the little guy without marring it all up to do the second process is the trick.
What I do is hole saw the blank first all the way through, then tack it back in place to hold it for drilling the inside hole to the final diameter. Then cut the tacks and do a little finish sanding.
Pictured are 1-3/4 diameter washers with 3/4" inside holes.

How else do people do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
here's one if your machining a tube yoke out on say a toyota and you want to go thicker tubing - do 3 tack welds on the inside tube to yoke - and the last tack weld let it bleed thru the tube -now the bleed thru spot show the end of the journal - so use a v tool back a fourth close to the edge of the journal size your piece which is below the oem size to fit into thicker tube- the last step machine thru the weld usually going away fromt eh chuck and gravity will take the rest- the piece normally will fall off into the chip trey . My Father Taught me that . Its hard to hold onto a tube yoke end on a drivelien because you usually need a custom made blunt center . Maybe a pic if anyone is interested- Good stuff so though- Jess

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My step drill bits must be real pieces of junk. I hate using those things on anything other than sheetmetal and even then I don't really care for them.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
My step drill bits must be real pieces of junk. I hate using those things on anything other than sheetmetal and even then I don't really care for them.
Buy some from Harbor Freight. Seriously. I shattered one of the $40 Irwin bits and had pretty much given up on them. Then I discovered the HF units and they're awesome. I drill probably 90% of my holes with them. I think I've only shattered one and @ $8(on sale) for a 3 pack, they're cheap enough to replace when they start to get dull.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Great idea.

When I make tabs like this I make them mirror about the large hole center, thatway one holesaw cut is used for two brackets.

Tip, I fab my axle bracket like this out of 3.5" strip steel, that way I have less cutting.
Ditto, AND you get a drop to make a weld washer out of :D

1 - 20 of 489 Posts