Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be moving back to the east coast and I need a way to get my Jeep there from CA; Im in the military, currently, and doing a DitY move btw. SO its a 98 ZJ on tons and 37s and a truck. I've thought ab a lot of ideas, good and bad, want to know if there are any I'm over looking, and see how to improve the ones i have now. Quick summary from not so good to better? rig a way to put the jeep in the uhaul, tow the truck; truck in the uhaul, get tires that fit a trailer and tow the jeep; get a tow bar for the jeep; get a tow bar for the jeep and different tires rather than 2300mi in 37 bias creepys; ship the jeep, truck in the uhaul; no uhaul, tow my shit with a 99 v6 dakota....not a big fan of that one; trailer the truck, ship the jeep. ideas/improvements welcome. Yes I know about liabilities of putting vehicles in uhauls, I've thought about them for a couple of days, and i have a couple months before the move, just spitballing. Unless somebody is currently going across the country and I could hitch a ride lol

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Single, engaged, married ???? best would be to ship the truck, tow the jeep with the u-haul, unless there is a second driver and then they can drive the truck. On a ditty move if I remember right, they pay your mileage and will pay a spouses mileage also but at a lower rate. Remember your weights loaded and unloaded, and if you are pulling one rig on the trailer behind a u-haul it goes towards your weights.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When we full dittied from MN to DE, I just paid a courier to ship my truggy. $645 and 5 days later it arrived at our duty station without all the hassle of moving it myself.

With that said, I'll never do it again. Between the wife and I we now have two off-road rigs so I'm looking at car haulers/flat bed trucks that can tow another trailer behind. Also looking for an F350/3500 dually to tow a 2-car trailer before we leave this duty station and move to the next.

If you don't have the means to buy a tow rig and large trailer, I'd start an account on u-ship and give yourself a few weeks to find the lowest bidder who will ship your rig across country for you. Or, put a shipping ad in the POR classifieds cuz there's always guys trailering with an empty spot.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
i vote for put the rig on a trailer and tow it with the dakota.

It is going to be a long and mostly flat run, don't do 80mph the whole way and take your time, actually use up a bunch of the days you get to move and enjoy the trip.

How much other stuff do you have? All the quotes I got to ship my rig from CA to VA were approx $1000-1200.

Turns out it was cheaper when we moved to rent uhaul for all the stuff, tow my rig with the uhaul, then had my dad follow us out driving my wifes car, and we just bought him a ~$250 plane ticket to fly him back home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cant tow with the Dakota, it's too small, plus need to get all of my other car to nc as well lol. So far average rates from ca to va are 1000-1200ish. I'm going to have to get some used tires/rims for the Jeep because if i trailer it, then it'll be too wide for the trailer, and if I ship it, it'll be too tall. Don't want to drive the Jeep, bc it'll be almost 1000 in gas, plus the miles on the vehicle. Also, I'm pretty sure they do not pay for the vehicle on the trailer, and only pay for a trailered something if it is not a DD vehicle, which maybe I could pass the Jeep for non dd, but who knows; I"m going to set up a meeting with DMO to see what the exact facts are regarding my entitlements, as soon as i can but need to get forms signed and its a long process bc the military is unnecessarily redundant.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
yeah you won't get paid for the trailer but they are cheap to rent.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sell the dakota, haul jeep behind haul, buy a tow rig and trailer when you get out east.

I shipped my blazer from CLNC to 29, even on 235s with 5" of lift, I still got hit with an oversize fee. Cost me $1200 and I met the truck in Amboy to pick it up.

Dakota, Jeep, and another car?....Dakota a six cylinder?

If you are married, you'll get milage for 2 vehicles....that can be two of your POVs or a Uhaul and one POV. Make sure your travel claim says you and your wife departed and arrived on different days, this will give her full per diem. Your travel claim should reflect that it took 8 days to get across the country.

You will not get reimbursed for the weight of a towed vehicle. (unless it is a motorcycle or a boat under 14'...I don't remember the rule on boats). Nor will you get reimbursed for the cost of rental trailer.

Years ago, I was a disburser. The rules have changed some, but not much. DMO will give you a good info packet and break it all down for you. Go sooner than later, to give yourself time to sell/buy figure out what you are going to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, not going to be able to purchase a tow rig or a trailer, I'll be in school, and as of right now, do not plan on doing any sort of contracting(but who knows since ISIS is getting big). As far as right now, I think I'm going to have to trailer one of the two, and ship the other, and get a uhaul. I get .24c for 2 vics, per diem for us for 7 days, and DMO pays for the weight. Hopefully the Jeep is less than 7ft tall lol, or I'll need crappy tires/rims for shipping. I already have the gtfo ball rolling, almost too soon, bc they can't get a line of credit until I'm 4mo out, not including my terminal leave(stupid system). Probably going to end up using uship. Does anybody have experiences using this or other shipping companies? Do/dont recommended companies?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did a DIY move from Vegas (after a tour in Korea) to Florida. I had the option to drive my rig and my DD over, but chose to ship it. I would have had to rush to get the rig street legal and hope nothing broke since I had never driven it any kind of distance. TMO did not pay for me to ship my rig, so I ate the cost for a while. I claimed it on my taxes and got most of the price back. I put up a big on Uship and got a good price. The driver came with a flat bed 18 wheeler and put my rig over the kingpin due to the weight and size and we had it loaded in under an hour. I had a brand new drivetrain in it so I didn't want the guy to take it for a joy ride so I pulled the ignition module and overnighted it to the person receiving it along with pics of how to put it back in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts